1913 speedometer gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 speedometer gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian H Jackson on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Does the smooth side of the gear face the inside of the wheel or is the letter side facing the inside of the wheel ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Letter side out for people to see. (smooth side face wheel)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Again, you didn't provide the year of your car, nor the number on you gear. The answer is the lettered part faces the engine. Please provide more information in the future!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

According to Russ Furstnows book depending when in 1913 your car was built, it could have a Stewart 22, or perhaps a Stewart 1322. I have both on my '13s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:15 am:

Further to Larry's post, the 1913 gear has 4 mounting holes. This was reduced to 3 in 1914 and onwards, again according to Russ Furstnow's book.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Both the 22 and the 1322 have four mounting holes. Stewart is in block letters on both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Not so Larry, according to fossil evidence. This is one of two gears I bought at a sale yesterday, 4 mounting holes for 1913 according to Russ, and the Stewart in script.

Damn these Ts. One can never be sure about anything.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

I've got a 1322 gear and I'm pretty sure the Stewart is in block letters so maybe they switched to script later or they made them both ways. I've got a later 11077 gear that is script. I just got the 1322 gear and remember noticing the block letters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

I'm sure Russ would back me up on this one. I don't believe the one Allan posted is for a '13, but would definitely be for a '14. Did some so&so countershink one of the holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

No countersink Larry, it's new old stock. Russ's book states the change to script occurred later in 1913. He lists 3 hole gears for 1914-25 at photo 4-48.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:44 am:

And then there's this one. Factory cast for 1913 four screw mounting, with script, but drilled for just 3 screws.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:46 am:

I have one like Allan last posted above with the script Stewart logo on a July 1913 car but the block letter style was used earlier that year.

This is the earlier 1913 road gear that would be painted black. The extra holes are in the casting for "3 hole" and a slightly smaller radius "4 hole" mount. Stewart began supplying these to Ford in mid-1911 but they were brass plated.

Black and brass began in the 1912 model year so these would probably show up on later '12 cars painted black.

Ken in Houston

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration