Waukesha Ricardo head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Waukesha Ricardo head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Wow, some fool just opened the bidding on a Waukesha Ricardo head on Ebay at $ 749.00 ! For that price, you could almost buy two Z or Prus heads, or if you won't accept anything but a cast iron head, I'd have sold him my Prus cast iron head for $800.00. Two years ago at Chickasha, I sold a Simmons cast iron head for $500.00 and a Waukesha for over a hundred less than that. No wonder we Americans gripe about inflation. Every time someone pays more than market price for a part, the next seller thinks twice about selling his part at market price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Plus, the seller makes no guaranty about the condition of the head. It could be cracked or at least warped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

I've got two that I paid under $300 each for a dozen or so years ago. Both are set up for priming cups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Auction is over. Some fool outbid the first fool and paid $790.10 ! Want to make a 250% profit on your heads, Jay ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

I have one too that i would let go of for the right price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I'm the fool! I wouldn't have a reproduction head for a gift! The seller said there are no visible cracks or problems, so I believe it. I'm tired of everybody passing me up on hills, plus I want an authentic period accessory. Another thing, it's good for the economy, and it's coming from Texas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Larry, you might want to mill your Waukesha Ricardo for extra power to stop those pesky Z and P head guys passing you on hills. I believe the Waukesha Ricardo had the least power increase of all the accessory heads.

It's a great looking head, and I cannot say I blame you for not wanting to search swap meets for the next couple of years. The P and Z heads work great but look no better than a $20 high head and the Z head now doesn't have the Ford script.

Could it be time for Joe Bell to put his iron "PowerMaster" head back into production???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Larry, I hoped it wouldn't happen that the bidders were here on the Forum. I'm sorry to tag you, but I just didn't think Waukesha's were worth that much. Another forum member told me about a guy who has three or four of them and sells them a lot more reasonably. As for the origin of shipping, I'm confused. the auction ad said Houston, Tx but the seller on Ebay is registered under the name of Five Barn Auto with an address of Carbondale, Illinois. He is the same seller that I bought the Simmons and the Waukesha heads that I resold at Chickasha. Both were cracked and I had to have them fusion welded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:11 am:

I thought about a period head but considering the price I was able to find a beautiful new Sherman for less. Of course this is going on a speedster and I will have to admit I was looking for a little more "bling" than a stock looking head. Now to make it shiny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:37 am:

I'm more into overheads, but I keep an eye out for any period speed equipment. The price is high, but not crazy... I rarely see a good one for under $600.

Sometimes you just have to have something and waiting around for the right deal isn't worth the savings. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:47 am:

The head isn't worth what I paid, but, I'm only earning .5% on my money in the bank, so I think I can do better on that head. When I get it, I'll get it magnifluxed and go from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

I paid less than that for this cool period head. Waiting for the right project some day.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

I think that Larry is an older guy like me.
We have our house's paid for and probably like me he pays cash when he buys a new car.
We have an excess of discretionary funds and when we see something that we want we buy it.
I did this when I bought my 25 pickup from his friend down the road and paid more than I could sell it for. But I wanted it, could afford it and have no regrets. I am headed out to the barn to play with it right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I bought a Ricardo head a few years ago for 400.00. It had been surfaced on the bottom and had been painted. I was told it was ready to go and it sure looked like it. I bought it from a well known Model T guy who at times frequents this forum and Ebay.
Well, I stripped the paint off so I could repaint it to match my engine. The head had cracks all over it that had been filled. I spent another 400.00 to fix the poor repairs and I think it is questionable at best. It is sitting on the shelf as I am not real confident in it.
Larry-If you got a good one for 790.00, I think you did well. Hey, they aren't making these things anymore. A real head is better than a reproduction any day of the week. I have "good" Ricardo heads on two of my cars and I think they are the best heads made. I think you'll enjoy the improved performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Also, they look really cool with the priming cups installed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff randolph on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Hello Guys, I am the one that sold Larry the head on ebay. I guarantee every item I sell and if Larry is not happy I will give him all his money back. That is also the first Ricardo head I have ever sold so I am not sure who sold you a cracked one Terry. Terry If you ever have a problem with anything I sell you please let me know and I will make it right. I am not out to get over on anyone. Thanks, Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Every car I've run across with a ricardo head ran above average. I would run one in a heart beat if I ran into one at the right price.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Larry wanted the head more than the cash. I don't see anything foolish there. He's going to use it and have fun with it. Nothing foolish there either. And he apparently is in a position where the funds won't be missed. Definitely no fool there!

Have fun with it Larry! Run the heck out of it, (and stay safe).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Larry at the end of the season I'll be selling the engine out of wild cherry 2 if your interested I don't even think they would see you pass them as fast as your t would be with this engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:52 am:

My apology, Jeff, if I incorrectly identified you as the seller that I purchased the Waukesha head from. I do remember purchasing the Simmons head from you because they are so rare. I bought both heads on Ebay about the same time and had them magnafluxed at the same time. Both were found to be cracked. Now, I could have sold the Waukesha head to some unsuspecting buyer, but chose to have it fixed. Same thing for the Simmons. It cost me more to ship it to Midwest Cylinder Head Repair in Nevada, Iowa and have them fusion weld it, than what I paid for it, but I didn't complain because it was such a rare piece. I sold it for $500.00 at Chickasha which was hundreds less than I had in it, but I had fun with it while I had it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

I feel compelled to weigh in here. As many of you know, my wife and I buy and sell a lot of early car parts, and had corresponded with the original seller of these things, from Indiana. He was very honest in his description of the big ticket items, and very honest in the flaws and defects which really make a big difference in price. Because of this , I just couldn't pull the trigger to purchase the pile. Because of this young mans honesty, it took him awhile to make his big sale, but I take my hat off to him. . I immediately recognized the parts being offered on eBay by Jeff Randolph, who posted above. What troubles me is the lack of honesty in his description. The RAJO head, one of the most valuable items in the pile, had been cracked and welded, poorly, IMHO. When I asked the seller through eBay about this, his statement was it was fixed and run many times since with no issues. Having just come into possession of this item, how would he possibly know?. More troubling, there is nothing in the description of this item to state these "facts". How sad to buy an item like this and then see the damage upon receipt. I was described many items in very good detail, so this is the tip of the iceberg. As a buyer , I have recently been on the end of receiving many items that have been described untruthfully to me, and often it just goes in my regret pile. Those are painful. I bought a Waukesha head from California that was said to be perfect. That was sold on this site. That one had almost 3' ( yes, 36" ) of braze repair. I was sick before I even took it out of the box. That one got returned and I was only out the 50$ for the shipping. Having been in the old car hobby for 45 years now, I have had handshake deals all over the country, and until recently, a mans word was all he really had. Why , nowadays,is there versions of the truth, or shading of the truth, or just outright lies? People fein lack of knowledge to make a sale . I don't understand it. Sure, people make mistakes, I have, but this is not a mistake. It's not good enough to say if I get caught, I'll make it right. That's no good for anybody. I don't want to act like the honesty police, but I feel the need to speak up on this. It makes everyone look bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:34 am:

I accomplished a bit with my new head today. I was concerned that there might be too much compression. I was able to view two other original heads today and they are the same. One has provisions for priming cups, mine does not.
Now hold on to your boot straps guys, one of the heads I looked at today is NOS, and is still even in the original box with instructions! In the next few days I'm going to post what those instructions say. One last observation: The original paint on this head is almost the same as the red Rustoleum primer!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration