Meet the "Nuthin' Special"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Meet the "Nuthin' Special"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:51 am:

So My son Carston and I started a new project today.... see if we can make a little hot rod T pickup using left over parts and see if we can put it together next to nothing in cash out lay. Traded for a running chassis body was put together from left over bin "1915 roadster parts and 1926 cowl welded together. Lowered it a little by heating the springs. Need to find 26-27 coil-box don't have one just a couple of black era ones. Anyone one have for next to nothing cheaper the better? Gonna try and get Clayton Paddison to help with his family knit too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:53 am:

Final product of Carston and I mocking it together after four hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Chris,

Looks like a great project for you & your son !

Keep us posted on the progress ......

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 06:57 am:

Very cool....keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Love the name :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:50 am:

. Carston has been pestering me to start a project with him. He is ten and enjoys working at the shop with us. So Clayton and I did some trading and this rolling and running chassis fell into our lap. Clayton and I had this crazy idea ,inspired by Mike Robison's "No Dollar Special " that he built at the Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane a few years ago, to see how cheap we cold build a little hot rod truck. So we will give it a go with our boys and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Chris- that's a great project! One suggestion- take the time now to drop it another 3-4" before you get it all put together and on the road. I guarantee you won't regret it later, but you will be kicking yourself forever if you don't.
Now is the time to do it.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:01 am:

I have extra engine mounted coil boxes, you can have one for shipping, where do you live?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:06 am:

There ya' go Dale !

What else do you need Chris ?

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Time well spent.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Portland Oregon. Thanks Dale, I could just run up there on a day and pick it up. I deliver milk up there for Whole Foods market, from Alpenrose dairy here in Portland.
I could use a set of old seat springs that fit the '15 roadster tub could go with black era as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Thanks Richard had a lot fun workin on it last night with Carston. Lots of questions and lots of help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Chris,

This image ^^^^^^ should be your profile image .....

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I understand the need of a fun T truck.
I also PM'd you about a coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

That looks pretty special!!!
The smiles alone are worth it. Keep up the fun work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Chris I like that little truck of yours!! Any more details?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Chris. I beleave that I have an old seat spring for a 15 in my spare parts. Let me know when you will be in Walla Walla and I will have them ready for you.
I am in Anacortes and Port Orchard for the next few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:47 am:

After work today the whole damn family came to the shop and help prime the "Nuthin Special". I love the proportion of our little pickup next step is to put gas tank back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:54 am:

I think it gets two enthusiastic thumbs up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Chris, that 1:47 am photo is priceless!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:01 am:

It appears that the "Nuthin Special" is actually quite special- just look at that kids face!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Indeed!
One of the best pictures if not THE best picture posted on the forum this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Wonderful project!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Carston and I were at the shop tonight and cleaned the gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Thanks for the encouragement Carston is having fun helping build this project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Thanks for the encouragement Carston is having fun helping build this project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 01:05 am:

That 15-26 pickup looks fantastic!
I'm so glad for you somebody is clicking pics. Thank her for me. :-) Wonderful photos!
The pics of my son, the girls and I as we putzed with old machines here are few and far between.
I had asked a friend's 11 year old son during a parade while he was driving some awfully rare oddball little tractor thru,
"Hey Jake! You know how lucky you are?" He heard, looked at me and said with a perfectly genuine smile "Yeah." :-)
Your son, perched on that model T tire, fiddling with a rusty old c-clamp and wearing a "Flo's V-8 Cafe" (Cars) shirt. :-)
Hopefully forever with rust and dirt under his fingernails.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 06:39 am:

Priceless experience! Your son will remember this forever. Keep us posted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Melissa my wife is taking some of them. Carston is little ham and loves to be in front of a camera. He is also really good at taking pictures too. I am looking for a couple items need a beat up tailgate for 26-27 or 28-29 pickup box and new the straps a26-27 cowl gas tank and gas cap. Thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

I have a pretty rough 26-27 tail gate. It yours for the price of shipping if you want it. Its the bottom one in this photo.
tail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

By the looks of his T-shirt I think Carston is thinking of a motor upgrade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

So last we cleaned the gas tank tonight we cleaned up the petcock filter bowl thingy.

Carston helped me put new packing material the valve body and we cleaned the screen and put on a new crush washer We will install it tonight and keep going on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Nuttin' wrong with working on the kitchen counter..... my favorite workplace----- till my wife catches me ??

One may teach, but the "student" needs to have the interest to learn .

Great !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

This thread is priceless- it is the embodiment of the hobby.

We need more folks getting more Carstons involved in similar hobbies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Chris - I'm packing up this very rough tailgate and will get it out tomorrow. It will take some repair and patching to be serviceable, but hope it works for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

We'll make it work. Sent you a PM. Give me a call anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Superb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

A father and son enjoying the same hobby while teaching/learning important life skills.....It just doesn't get any better than this !!! Carry on!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Chris - I misplaced your phone number, but I shipped the tailgate today using the UPS label provided. Good luck with it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

FREE TRANSPORT for donated parts for this worthy build along my route.

I am leaving Clarksville, TN for Denver.

I am taking I-70 west from St. Louis, MO.

Then I-25 north to Douglas, WY.

Then pick up I -90 west thru Montana to Spokane, WA.

Not sure the route from there because of wildfires - but headed to Seattle, WA.

FreighTer Jim
260-804-6695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Thanks for the support guys. I just got back from the unlawfully over Labor Day. So hopefully I can get back to working on it with Carston soon. Weekend is coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Truly Amazing time your having and a priceless education going on there, the extent you can't begin to imagine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Thanks gene we are. Having fun together! We got the dash and fuel tank installed tonight more details tonight as my phone is about dead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Well tonight Carston and I went to the shop to work on the "Nuthin Special" goal was to install the gas tank.

We did not have the tank straps last Sunday we slipped by the hardware store and picked up some 3/32 plastic coated stainless steel cable some copper crush coolers and a a couple heavy duty cable clamps.

First thing we did is make couple loops and went the original brace and swedge the cables together.

Next we installed the gas tank. Once we got it stay put ,I then helped Carstonrun the cables around the tank. We then used stainless cable clamps to hold everything in place.

Finally we screwed the original bulb filter and shutoff. Carston got a lesson the proper tflon tape to use and Which way to wrap it so the teflon seals when tightened.

Lastly we installed the dash board we found to finish things up. All in all a good couple hours together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Does anyone have gas cap for 26-7 gas tank, rough hood, rough windshield and a couple oil lamps we could use for tail lights?

Dean I just asked Carston if he would change power plants to a v-8 and he says no way Jose....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:23 am:

Hey Steve thanks for sending the tailgate. Looking forward fixing it with Carston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:50 am:

He's also a Star Wars fan...nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Yup... BB8 and R2D2 are his favorites

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Well an update on "Nuthin' Special". Here is our inspiration for the "Nuthin' Special" meet "No Dollar Special" mike Robidon built it several years ago drove for awhile. Now it in prices behind his barn..... we figure if he can drive something that several hundred miles then so can we.

So first thing we did was bolt down the front body down. Then we started to finall bolt the pickup box. We had to build a wood frame to set it so today was teaching Carston measure twice and cut once.probably his favorite job is spreading the glue around.

After decked the back of the car then screwed the box down temporarily. He also got yo learn show to use a cordless drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Well an update on "Nuthin' Special". Here is our inspiration for the "Nuthin' Special" meet "No Dollar Special" mike Robison built it several years ago and drove itfor awhile. Now it in peices behind his barn..... we figure if he can drive something like No Dollar several hundred miles then so can we.

So first thing we did was bolt down the front of the body down. Then we started to finally bolt the pickup box on. We had to build a wood frame to set it on so today was teaching Carston measure twice and cut once. Probably his favorite job is spreading the glue around.

After decked the back of the car then screwed the box down temporarily. He also got to learn how to use a cordless drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Looks awesome, I love the idea. I'm sure ya'll are having a blast. Just gotta get Carston some long pedal extensions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Chris - according to UPS tracking, the tailgate should be delivered on Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Seth some blocks and a couple of god old fashioned yellow pages phone books should do the trick?right!?

Cool Steve I will let Clayton know although he will see it sooner then me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Steve the tailgate arrived at Clayton's work will be picking it up tomorrow. Carston and I will repair and fit it up over the weekend hopefully. Thanks again Chris and Carston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Anything that makes a kid smile like THAT is VERY special....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

We are going over to work on the "Nuthin' Special", finish bolting the pickup box on and priming the dashboard. Anyone have a rough but useable 26-7 instrument cluster and ignition switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Glad to hear it arrived safely. Hope you can patch it up enough to be useable!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Oh... Yes... I have time yet this fall to take the eldest grand daughter (9) out for a spin and let her drive like last year. She did great!
I had the throttle of course. Are you daring such a thing yet Chris? Carsten on the pedals and the wheel and you on the throttle and switch?
Alan Jackson sang during Drive in the last verse about a Jeep. "Keep that peddle pushed down hard, you're doin' just fine." Oh wait, I messed those lyrics up to suit my brain and situation.
:-)
Burger (from Spokane) would smart off about corrupting a young man's mind with this stuff and he'd be correct yet he'd be very pleased and squirming while typing. :-)
Good stuff Chris and Carsten! Thank you! Reminds me of days with my son and our old junk here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Cool Chris my son always helped me from the time he was 3 years old until he was about 22. The US army has him now but he still likes old cars. Life is in his way right now with kids and a house payments..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Well this evening was not all that exciting we spent a couple of hours drilling holes and bolting the pickup box down permanently.

Need to go and dig through the parts stash and find a battery box and bolt it in the frame.

Tim sounds like Carston. He has been hanging in the shop since he was 2 or 3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:29 am:

For a late dash you might check with Mike Peterson.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/gunman63?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

He's been selling more again recently so likely has something you could use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Fun T Truck - Where or what are the disc from?
Thanks Chris.Pushtruck Wayne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Chris, Fun T Truck. What or where did the disc come from? Thanks, Poshtruck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Well we put a couple of more hours into the the "Nuthin' Special". First we made up a simple rubber fuel line from our fuel tank to carburetor. I will get a pic next time I am out there. Main thing to day was to get Steve's tailgate on. Carston helped me make some hinge pins and the we made up some simple brackets made of angle iron we had lying. These are Carston's first ones he has made and as such he learned how to use a hack saw. He did pretty good I rounded the edges of his brackets and helped and bolt them on. Thanks Steve for the tailgate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:27 am:

Brackets are to latch the tailgate and keep it closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:27 am:

I wish the tailgate was as nice as the bed, but glad you could make it work. Keep the photos coming, I'm really enjoying following along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Steve the bed has rust issues as well. We will be fix the tail gate and bed at the same time. Right now we are getting it put together solid enough to drive it the we can start refining. Carston wants to drive it and go for a ride. Gotta keep his interest up you know. Tonight we are going over to Clayton's shop and pickup a few parts: windshield, good battery box, door hinge, and rebuilt small drum rear axle maybe a good gauge and ignition switch for the dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Thanks for all the good comments Carston and I do watch for them and are much appreciated. Stay tuned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I gotta say....this is really looking great Chris!

I just think this is the best project. I can't wait for a ride! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

About time you showed up! Thanks for the chassis that's start of it all. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we can fire it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 02:05 am:

Something that won't run away from T bone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 08:15 am:

You got that right Tim. Stop by the shop here in a couple of weeks and lets see if T-Bone can outrun Nuthin' Special!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Tim Williams T-bone 1927 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I was taking my time Chris....you know I like to be "fashionably late"...lol! :-)

I'm happy to see that chassis go to a good home! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 01:08 am:

Picked some parts from Clayton last night. Thank you sir!
Carston and I mocked up the windsheild and hood. I like the way it is coming together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 01:09 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:51 am:

Another quick update from a couple of hours together at shop working on the Nuthin' Special.

First thing first we are planning on starting the "Nuthin' Special" on Sunday when Rich brings over the rebuilt coils and coil box. So tonight we put the battery in the pickup box and rerouted all the battery wired. We also zip tied them together and to the frame, do they don't move around. Carston did all the zip tying and trimming the excess zip ties off.

Next project was to bolt the windsheild we got from Clayton's roadster "Josephine". Carston's small hands were a help under the dashboard in tight spaces.

And lastly we took the fender irons off as we are going fender less! So out came the torch and I handed the camera over to Carston to get some shots of me cutting them off.

Carston wanted to play with my camera so we took some artsy fartsy picture of your esteemed builders of the "Nuthin' Special"...... me ( Chris)

And my esteemed helper...... Carston

Keep watching for updates....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:27 am:

Chris,

Rich won't be bringing the coils over in this .....

He told me he was going to see you .....

Great build - keep the reports coming ....

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Hey Jim next time your in Portland contact us and we will get together and get you a ride in the Nuthin' Special. Did Rich show you the 26 coupe he just purchased?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Chris,

What a Beauty !

He showed me a picture on his phone - says it drives really smooth.

We talked about your build - I wanted to come have a look while I was in the area but the timing was not right - oh well.

I guess his son Eric is excited to get this T - Gary in Camarillo might meet me on Sunday to help Eric learn to drive it & show him the ropes- I met him after Bakersfield Swap last year.

When I am back in the area I sure would appreciate a look.

Thanks !

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 11:17 am:

My friend Brian and I did the restoration on it over the last five years. A real labor of love. He wasn't able to take it with him when he moved so Rich got it. It has excellent home with Rich. When you get back to Portland get in touch with us and let
Get together and play with Model T's. Glad Rich's son got the Touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I spy an old Ranchero in the background. It reminds me of when I was a kid. I went with my dad to the local Ford dealer in 1964. He bought a brand new Ford Falcon station wagon about the same color as that Ranchero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Steve that's my buddy Troy's '64 ranchero he has been working on. It has nice healthy 289 in it and automatic trans and is painted Bullit Green his favorite color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Man that looks good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 22, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Hard to see that Ranchero with Carston hamming it up for the camera - that kid has a bright future ahead of him ....... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 01:36 am:

Well " Nuthin' Special" is alive! We had nothing going on Sunday. So we got to the shop around 11am and met Rich who brought our and fixed up coilbox a great set of coils. I made up some simple brackets to hold the coilbox onto the head. Mind you we used the early one that goes on the firewall ( black era I will get pics tomorrow) so brackets were custom built out of some old metal shelving. Still have some trimming to do but all in all it worked pretty blog. # 4 coil kinda gave us fits trying set the coilbox on fire! Once we figured out where the short was we're good to go. Had to figure out a seat, we had one out of our Explorer measured it and I fit perfectly so we set in and jury rigged it, perfect. Few turns of the crank and we were cruising. Carston was all smiles we even fought how to crank start "Nuthin' Special"! He is a little short so I got too make some pedal extension so he can learn to drive.

So next thing to work on.. relocation of steering wheel and colum. It is to high to far to the right so maybe after work this week we will see if we can remedy that.

Also the brake band is shot. No brakes! So new Scandinavian band soon as possible and we are good.

Not sure of condition of rear axle, but have a rebuilt small drum ready to put in.

So those are the next projects we will see how greasy and oily we can get Carstonover the next couple of weeks! I want to thank Rich and Clayton for their help in getting Carston's " Nuthin Special" one step. Loser to a real car. I have some more photos and video especially him cranking "Nuthin" to start her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 01:40 am:

W even taught him how to crank the car not fought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 06:25 am:

Great progress! Carston looks pretty happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I can't think of the words to accurately describe how much I love what you're doing here....so I'll just say that this puts a big smile on my face.

I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 08:50 am:

Chris

Rich is happier working on T's than computer hardware I imagine - this is my favorite build thread of the year.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Chris B, I dunno, some of the Ts I have started over the years, "fought" could be more appropriate than "taught"?
Seriously, wonderful thread! Fantastic to spend such quality time with your younger generation.
Thank you for sharing the joy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Finally got around to get the picture of Carston cranking the "Nuthin' Special". I think he is strong enough to crank it by himself. so maybe Sunday or Monday afternoon we will pull a Brake band and see if we can reline it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Please teach Carston to crank left-handed from the beginning. That's the safer way, and it's how Henry's instructions say to do it for that reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I am a lifelong right hand cranker. Had a few close calls over the years, but nothing broken yet. Right hand is what I was taught, and how I still crank.
That said, I think teaching left hand cranking is the better way. Once learned, it should be just as good and somewhat safer for a lifetime of fun.
Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

If I knew how to do it properly left hand then that's what I would teach. Since this is the way I was taught and continue crank my T it's the only way I knew how to teach him. So fill me in teach me so I can teach him. If there is better by all means fill us and we will give it a try. Our 1909 Brush has gotten me more times then our silly model T's have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

I've never cranked any engine left handed.
Maybe Henry was left handed.......I'm not...... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Hey Chris, There is a U Tube video Of Mitch Taylor, From Australia demonstrating it. Check it out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 12:41 am:

As I see Carston grinning there I think I see everyone of us as the car bug was biting us.
Life in America as it should be. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 03:25 am:

Well after dinner I met Clayton and he, Carston and I lowered the steering column. We had to heat and bend the clutch pedal and e-brake(Clayton is way better at doing this then I am!) to get them out of the way. Then Carston and I dug up a dash mount, and drilled bolted it into place. Still not done but does fit much better. I think Carston needs pedal extensions.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 08:17 am:

A pillow behind Carston might push him forward enough to reach the pedals.

I've enjoyed following your progress on your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:41 am:

Spent the day finishing up the steering column. Carston helped me drill holes and tighten bolts and nuts. Nothing to exciting. Did teach Carston how to make cardboard pattern after that he was on to something else made re exciting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Well tonight's goal was to make a floorboard so we can build a proper bench seat. Carston and Melissa ,my wife, came to the shop tonight. First thing we taught Carston how to make cardboard template.

Next step was for Carston to help me trace the cardboard template onto a piece of plywood. Since he is so much more artistic them me I turned him loose tracing.

After he got the tracing done we fired up the bandsaw and started making sawdust. It took quite a while getting the right notched cut and recesses around the metal framework that is welded into this body.

Do after an hours worth of work we have a floor board! this is about all the attenchen span he had. Slowly making progress.

Next step is to redo the brake linings in the transmission. And hang the door after finding avoid usable hinge. Thanks for watching

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 12:22 am:

The other pics:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

I love this thread, please keep the updates coming!

Can't wait to see pics of his first ride / drive in the Nothin' Special. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 12:50 am:

So we hit the shop again tonight. Mostly me but we did get the figure out seating.

Since we made floorboards next thing was to get some seats made. Using some left over shelving angle iron we madra simple seat rider and a ply wood seat back.

Also got the inspection cover off the transmission and adjusted the brake band. I find it interesting all the bands are different materials..!!reverse band is Kevlar lined, low band is wood lined, and brake band is Scadanavuan lined...go figure got the best of all worlds when it comes to linings!!

Also took a pic of we mounted the coilbox to the top of the engine....all home made out of left over parts.

Gotta pour some gas in it and tryi out again.. let's go for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 12:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Forgot to post the picture of Carston trying out the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Great project - and a great thread :-)
The three types of band material is just what I've been using for four seasons in my primitive pickup - but I have brake and reverse band materials the other way around, the brake is a safety issue, so the band shouldn't be able to burned out while in a long down hill like it did for webmaster Chris once, so it's kevlar for me there while the reverse is rarely and lightly used, so scandinavia is good there without much risk of overheating the drum. Wood is fine for the low drum and will last long there.
Looks like you have a pre 26 transmission, so the bands can be moved around if they have removable ears :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Great stuff! I enjoy checking in and seeing the updates. It is wonderful to see such good father-son quality time. And the truth is, he learns so much more than just how to tinker on an old car. Skills that should help him his entire life are learned while working in a simple shop.

One request? Could you show me a good picture of that high wheel car I think I see in the background? And maybe tell a bit about it? Another horrible disease of which I am afflicted(?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

As soon as I get home I will fill ya in on the "Old Man" of our collection a 1907 Holsman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

I wondered if that was the one. As I recall, you were going to have the engine rebuilt for it. How is that going?
Looking forward to updates about this also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

This is a cliffhanger. Every day I can't wait to see what happens next! Just a thought, but this thread is getting pretty long, maybe time to start part 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Well I grew up with the old Holsman.

My Grandpa bought him from 2nd owners in 1967. He put an add for a Chris Craft 18' wood boat for sale in the local paper. He got a phone call a few days later asking if he would interested in trading for old car. Grandpa and dad went and looked at the Holsman an liked him so much they did the trade plus a hundred dollars cash for car cover covering it and the custom built trailer previous owner towed the Holsman on.

The 1907 Holsman was originally purchased from the factory by Dr. Hubert A. Castle of Pocatello Idaho. It was shipped by Union Pacific Railroad in the summer of 1907. The newspaper tells of Dr. Castle and his Manservent picking up assembling it on the front lawn of his home. From what we understand it was the second car in Pocatello's that time. 2nd owners were The Smith Bro of Smith Brothers automotive group who sold and traded it to my grand parents.

Since I was a little kid the Holsman has been in our shop. Come July Grandpa and I would pull it in to the center isle of the shop and start touching up the flaking black paint and polishing up the brass. Dad and I would fire / tune up so he would drive into the show Forest Grove Concour de' Elegance. Every for the last 40 have taken the Holsmanto this show.

Grandpa passed away in 1999 and Dad in 2010... so I am third generation in my family to be to be a custodian of this piece of history, Carston will be the fourth when he is ready.My favorite picture of Carston when we're lapping the exhaust valve in before put the rebuilt engine back in the Holsman back 2015.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

If you can't tell WAyne the old Holsman is my favorite car in our collection of six.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

I can tell it holds a special place for you. Wonderful car!
I have many tools that belonged to my grandfather (mother's father), and quite a few I use. Whenever I use them, I feel a special connection to the tools, and fondly remember helping my grandfather on his ranch so very many years ago (as if I was any help before the age of ten?).
Keep up the good work with the next generation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Yea we got the motor rebuilt in 2014-15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Well just kinda puttered on "Nuthin' Special" today. Spent a couple of hour getting the door to fit. Screwed the floorboards down. Biggest thing was we adjusted the brake band so we can take it for its first test drive down the street....,

Landed at the neighbors airstrip and then drove home about 3 miles total. Not to bad except I have got to get some cushions on the seat as plywood is not soft.

Also Carston got to drive " Nuthin' Special" around the shop. He did real good, figured out how to operate low and the brake pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 12:30 am:

I've still got seat springs waiting if you want them, seat and back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Loved the photo of Chris trying to cut on the line Carson had drawn, especially with Carson "steadying" the plywood sheet. But can you tell me what the yellow car is and do you have a paint code for the green that was used for the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Pete the yellow car behind Carston is a 1913 White touring car. Dad got it in 1971. The green is pope hartford green. I will have to get the number off the can.

Well Carston painted the inside of the tub today with black Rustoleum. I think he got black on himself then the car. Tried the door today found out I installed the hinge upside down but it still works.

Then we finished up the day running on of Carston newest steam engines......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

That's one mighty lucky young man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jorge Angel López Sánchez on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Beautifull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, October 09, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Good deal! A boy and his steam engine. :-)
My mom let me run my Mamod TE1A traction engine around the house when I was a kid.
The Mamod's weren't as elaborate as your Wilesco?? Nice road roller!
Hah! You're helping to "poison" Carsten's mind. :-) I had to poison my own mind with steam engines, old tractors and T's. :-)
Such a wonderful thread! Power Wagon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 01:20 am:

We are giving "Nuthin' Special" an attitude adjustment. Last 2 times we took her a drive she ran great but rode horrible. We started looking at the front end saw a bunch of things wrong, first off no ball cap to the wishbone, scarey!!! All bushings totally worn and steering components loose.

So pulled the front end apart and used better parts and replaced the worn out parts. I the process we wanted to lower " Nuthin' Special" about 4-6". So made z plate out of 3/8th plate. Need to finish grinding for cleaning it up. Have to get some grade 8 hardware tomorrow as well.

We Also dug up a set of split wishbones that have been rattling around the floor of the shop. Installed them to the refurbished axle and ready to install. Need to build a set of plate to bolt them to the frame. We're getting hopefully by the weekend she will be 6 inches shorter in the front and next week we can tackle lowering the rear.

Sorry no pics of Carston we were on a mission to get done and still have some reading time before bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Nuthin new on the Nuthin special?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Well Chris,

As charming as you may be ......

Carston is who folks check in to see .....

So get him back on here - otherwise things are coming along nicely - thanks for the updates ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Carston, thank you for your idea on the the tail gate on the Nuthin special,my ford has a wooden tail gate and I was at a loss as to how to make latch's to hold it closed. I used one bolt on the body side so when the locking pin was slid over to drop the gate that part would drop out of the way,works fine. enjoy seeing you working on your t, its looking super,Building the project with your dad will be with you through out your life, I'm 80 and still think back on the many things my dad and I did together.keep the grease under those finger nail's that show's every one your not afraid to git your hands dirty.doing what you love.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Greg,

That was very sweet ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Greg and all thanks for the comments. Sorry for no updates lately. I went down to Arizona to visit friends down there and ended up getting sick when I got home. Just starting to feel
better so hopefully this week we can get back on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Chris, you going T-Bone style on the front end lower? How is Jeremy and Brian doing down there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Well, finally felt like I could do something. Carston and I came out to the shop after church. So we put the Z plate on today, which lowers the front of "Nuthin' Special" about 6 inches. We found out the the tie rod hit the front cross member. About this time Tim Williams showed up. Tim gave us hand making adjustments to the steering arms. Now the tie rod sits below the wishbones and crossmember. So with the new mods Nuthin' Special has a nice aggressive rake to her.

Thanks Tim for the help. Our next step is to mak the mounting plates for the split wishbones. We also need to make adjustments to the tierods to get the tires in the right direction. Still making progress with Carston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Looks great! Check to be sure that the rake hasn't reduced the front caster too much. Be sure the front axle is still "leaned back" enough for stability. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Your welcome Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Yeah, my mistake. I should have put in there that Clayton Paddison came over middle of last week and we put 7.5 degrees of caster in the front axle for stability. One of the brief moments I had some energy. Measured it yesterday and with the rake and I still have 7.5 degrees so should be good. I have to reset the camber though as it changed when we moved the steering arms around . I still have the Ackerman angle correct though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Looking good! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, October 23, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Just saw this picture of Clayton when he got Nuthin' Special's chassis quite a change since Carston and I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B R Goggin on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Still can't believe the little guy in this thread - http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/77090.html?1230731682 - is now turning wrenches on his own! Man does time fly...

Great thread. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Well Clayton , Rich and I got quite a bit done today. Last time Clayton Carston and I set the caster angle and got the basic front end adjustments roughed in. Tim Williams helped me adjust the steering arms with the heat wrench and roughly bolted things tightened.

Well first order of business to day was to modify the hand crank. I had to cut the end off and add 5 1/2 inches to it to clear the new lowering bracket. Rich got there around eleven am. He had rebuilt a set of coils for our 1907 Holsman. We had to install them a chase down a shortin the ignition system before we fired the old Holsman up. Amazing what a new set of coils will do make it run better then it has in a long time. After that we set about re megnatizing the mag in Nuthin' Special. We got something but not a whole lot of voltage. It does run on mag but much better on battery.

About this time Clayton shows up. We spent some time visiting then set about finishing the front end. First thing first had drill a 5/8 hole to center the spring in the top of the new lowering bracket. Then we tightened the four bolts that hold the spring up to the lowering bracket.

While Clayton and Rich finishing the spring up , I was over in the machine shop drillin 3/8 hole in the plates that were to become the split wishbones to frame brackets. I had to also drill one 5/8 hole in each plate to bolt the hiem joint of the split bones to the plate. After I got the plates done I brought them over to our shop, where Clayton and I proceeded to mark, drill and the bolt the plates to the frame. Finally we bolted the hiem joints up and then adjusted up the split wishbones so the axle assembly was even from front to back.

With the front end bolted on with the wishbones inplace and everything adjusted up the last we had to do was th camber of the front wheels, " setting the tie in". And finally Tom it off the jack stands and got to see the fruits of our labor. Nuthin' Special has a nice nose down aggressive stance. Still need to redo the rear axle and lower the back end slightly. So stay tuned Carston should be able to help us more there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Had a good Sunday.. went to church and got out late from there. Melissa and Carston had a scout lunch that they helped with. So I went to the shop and turned Nuthin' Special around. Whe Melissa and Carston came back with dinner. After dinner we got some pictures and Carston got some more driving lessons. Then we put Nuthi' Special back in turned around so we can tackle the rear axle. Thanks for tuning in and now back to your regular model t debates and programming......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:47 am:

My favorite thread this year.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration