Clearing sale scores.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clearing sale scores.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 04:59 am:

I went to a home workshop clearing sale today. There was not much T stuff. Can anyone tell me what year this steering gear with the crosshatched levers?

These little gems were mixed in with one of those cheap and nasty Chinese panel beating sets.

I had to convince the auctioneer that the large slapper with the square end was not a tyre tool to be sold with the tyre mounting fixture.

I did get a nice folding running board luggage rack and an absolutely rust free top windscreen. The fellow who bought the scrap pile charged me $5 for two new old stock Stewart speedo roadwheel gears.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Allan,

I have a 1915 steering column with those levers. I think they may have started in 1912.

Anyone have more info?

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Picture doesn't show the underside of the gear case very well. I looks like it might be the two-piece (riveted) case. In that case, it would be late '12 till early '15. If it is the one-piece case, it would be a '15. BY the end of calendar year '15, the smaller dimple handles were being used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Wayne, it is a two piece riveted case and the rivets are all nice and tight and the case is grease tight. I asked about the crosshatching because I have never seen it before on our Canadian offerings. I have only had plain levers stamped to that profile.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Wayne, I asked about the levers because I have never had anything but plain ends on them on our Canadian offerings. It is a two piece gearcase, with solid rivets, no movement and no leaks.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Well, how did that happen. I scrolled down to read the first post and it wasn't there, so I did it again, thinking I had not hit the post it button!!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

According to the Encyclopedia, it sounds like mid 1912 to early '13

7-17-11
Adopted for 1912. Handles to be brass plated and polished

5-20-12
Redesigned. Rubber knobs are removed and handles flattened and knurled.

9-27-12
Knurling removed and the handle is smooth.

9-18-15
Redesigned handles, now rounded. Still brass plated.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

On the USA cars, I see both with and without the crosshatch on those levers. Not sure why, nor have I noticed any year significance to it. Maybe Larry Smith could chime in here? This should be something he might know. He is pretty much the expert on 1913.

(Do you want me to respond twice? :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Late '12, early '13 made in '12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:58 am:

My November 13 has this.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration