Foot Brake Equalizer on 25 (8" drum) with lined shoes worth doing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Foot Brake Equalizer on 25 (8" drum) with lined shoes worth doing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I have a 25 touring that my family and I (2 adults and 4 small kids) will be riding once a week in mostly flat ground on a state highway where I intend to drive at least 45 after some modifications to the engine and adding a Warford under\direct\low drive unit.

My question is would the equalizer with the lined brake shoes be a RELIABLE stopping IMPROVEMENT over what I have now?

I would love Rockie Mtn brakes but am curious if the foot brake equalizer would do the job I need done. I'm not mountaineering or racing.

I am used to engine braking and have learned the model T brake dance moves, but am a little worried about stopping in time during an emergency stop. IE: someone pulling in front of me or a deer running in front of me.

I was hoping someone has already tried this set up and could weigh in on how it works and not just theorize how they think it will work.
Also how does it work on the large brake drum models?
I have not purchased any of the parts yet but intend to soon.

Jason L
Bemidji Mn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

The main problem with stopping quick is the tire surface on the ground--most motorcycles have more tire surface than a T! The stock tranny brake will lock up the tires in a heartbeat. Best thing is keep your eyes moving all the time and check out every moving vehicle carefully. I was driving a motorcycle for two years before I got a car and that was a great learning experience--and I lived thru it! Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I had the equalizer set-up on my '26 Touring (large brake drums). It was installed correctly and adjusted so that the transmission brake band applied only after firm pressure to get the service brakes to apply first. My experience is that the service brakes with the equalizer only brakes marginally better than the transmission brake alone. I eventually upgrade to Rocky Mountain Brakes and properly adjusted they stop well. No regrets in buying those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I have that set up on my '27 and it helps on long steep hills but does not really help much in a panic stop. I have Rocky Mtn. Brakes on my '10 and find them to be much more effective as they are self actuating. If I had it to do over again I would go with Rocky Mtn. brakes on the '27 too. That said I would use lined shoes along with the Rocky Mtn. brakes to deal with the lack of braking in reverse. I also have AC brakes on one of my cars and find them to be about as good as the lined shoes on my '27. I have them adjusted to act as the primary brake with the transmission brake kicking in if I have to stomp on the brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

He has the small drum rear end so adding the equalizer is not going to anything even with the aftermarket lined shoes. You might look into adding outside brakes. There are three types you can buy new, the AC style that use the small drum, Rocky Mtn that requires adding a larger drum and used along with original small drum and the disk type. Google "mtfca; and type in the type you want info on. There has been pages on all three. Or just try mtfca;outside brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Want to add, if you install any type of other transmission or even a Ruckstell outside aftermarket brakes are more of less mandatory. Relying on those small parking brakes might be asking for bad results if you get between gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Thank you all for your advice.
I will look into the AC brakes and maybe save up for the Rocky Mtn. brakes.
The Rockies are easy to find but not cheap.
Who sells the AC brake kits?

I have been using the transmission brake, but it will not lock up the wheels maybe I can adjust it tighter so it will stop better.
I have adjusted it to where it engages at about 1/4 travel. I cannot bottom out the pedal (while stopping) and I have plenty of leg strength, so I wonder if I may need a new or better material brake band.

I purchased a Warford 3 speed so now I need to get serious about the accessory brakes, so I don't get caught between gears.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration