Added blinkers .. Using duel voltage system

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Added blinkers .. Using duel voltage system
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

I've been working on these for a while but haven't posted anything due to time and health problems.

These are 12 volt LED lights. I added turn signals to front and rear, brake lights, running lights front and rear as well as under the fenders. The running lights blink only when that side's turn signals are on. The lights nd their mounts are held on by hose clamps except for the rears that are bolted to the spare tire bracket. I designed the whole thing to be able to uninstall it and remove it in under an hour. The little dash I made just clamps to existing dash (no holes drilled) and the same with the turn signal controller. I couldn't find a controller I liked so I made my own. It just clamps to the steering column.

Front Blinkers

Front close up

Underside of front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Rear

Rear construction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Battery

Mini dash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Blinker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

The mini dash has a switch to monitor the 12 volt battery and the 6 volt battery. I left the T itself 6 volt and all its systems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Running lights

Running lights.

The front / rear lights came from Superbright Led supplier. The under fender lights came from trash I had laying around. The brackets are wood and plastic from scrap in the shop. The battery from some kids toy I've had forever.

I have other pictures and an electrical drawing I made and will be glad to share. I'd say this type of project is not for the fienght of heart because making a wiring harness from scratch was a real pain in the butt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Certainly can't miss those !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Nice work! I wish more T owners would leave the car at 6 volts for the sake of the coils and the starter, and add a separate 12 volt circuit for LED lights like you did. It's not that hard, and saves a lot of headaches down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Nice job, I added 'blinkers' to my TT using 12v battery that also powers the coils. The rest is running on 6v 'as new'.

The 12V on the coils gives a much better spark than 6V ( I don't have a mag in my TT).

Nice to see lateral thinking :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Turn signals on Brass-Era cars are important. -When you're driving an enclosed car, the driver behind and to your right cannot see your hand-signal to change lanes. -When you're driving an open car, your hand signal won't be understood by many of today's younger drivers. -When you're driving a right-hand-drive car, even older drivers may not understand your hand-signals.

It used to be that Sunday blue laws created a once-a-week, low traffic environment such that brass-car clubs could caravan the length of Long Island and back, but today's traffic environment is too congested, aggressive and downright reckless to do that kind of thing anymore. -Those of us who do share the road with modern vehicles need to take advantage of the availability of safety equipment like brake-lights and turn-signals, and then we need to maintain an attitude of red-alert any time we're driving our antiques.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I haven't tried it yet, but have been thinking about adding another small 6 volt battery to the car. Wire both batteries parallel so the system thinks it is charging 6 volt, but then tap the batteries in series to operate the 12 volt turn signal operation. Is there something I am missing? I think it would work...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

I thought about that but feared the spikes and A/C ripple from the generator might damage the LEDs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Michael, I don't think what you suggest is that simple. You would need a relay to switch from parallel to series, plus associated wiring. A cheap 12 volt battery should last a seasons driving. Then recharge it or replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I have two 6 volt sealed lead-acid batteries in series. The 6v center tap goes to the coils, and the 12v series output goes to the lights. I charge the pair in series at 12 volts at 1.5 amps. Sealed lead-acid batteries are very forgiving, and running the coils on one battery for a few seconds while starting doesn't create a significant out of balance situation. For the very picky, you could charge the batteries separately at 6 volts. I just found that to really not be necessary. As with all lead-acid batteries, keep them topped off. For the type of driving I do, that means charging them about once a month.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration