OT Hurricane Harvey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Hurricane Harvey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

We are empatic folks here and we have a tradition to follow fellow T'ers that have been or may be hit by Mother Nature.
We see news reports even here in Denmark and it seems to be another "Katrina". Hopefully you are better prepared this time.
You are in our thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Nobody really knows yet. It is supposed to hover over the same area for a prolonged period (through next week). Hopefully it'll dissolve but the prevailing winds say otherwise :-(

Meanwhile, those of us about 700 miles away are having absolutely beautiful weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

The wife purchased "hurricane food" this morning and said that the store shelves are void of bottled water. Even though it's no where near us in New Orleans, people go through this ritual nowadays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Saw on the news the other day that Houston is supposed to get over 2 feet of rain. A&M Corpus Christi had a mandatory evacuation and sent all students home. Kind of looks like it's just hovering over the Houston area but it is slowly moving north. Even up here in the Austin area we are expecting pretty bad storms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Last August we in south Louisiana got 28" of rain in a 36 hour period. I had never seen such a down pour; not during any hurricane or monsoon while in Viet Nam. I got 18" in my store and 18-24" in my self storage buildings. As densely populated as the Houston area is, devastation will be catastrophic and property damage counted in billions if they get that much rain. Unfortunately it looks highly probable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Terry Woods is that area, Just west of Houston . It's raining in his area and is up to 1'2inch so far. His house is on a rise so flooding there isn't really a concern. However he is nervous about his shop/storage area .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

I live in inner city houston and so far there is no flooding except for coastal areas. There are long lines at gas stations and traffic everywhere. We are not expected to really start flooding until Saturday sometime. It's a completely different story 200 miles down the coast where it is making landfall as a Category 3 hurricane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

I am on the Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston Island south of Houston. Been raining here pretty steady since 4 AM. Very windy and hard rain now. Had one tornado I know of that did minimal damage in my County. All four T's are secure in my two buildings. Both buildings survived Ike 9 years ago. Not concerned about the wind. I have a pretty good lake in my two acre side yard already. Just hoping it stays out of the buildings and the house. But this is a cake walk compared to our friends in Corpus Christi south of us. They are taking the full face brunt of a Category 3 Hurricane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron MacDonald on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Good luck to you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I'm a couple miles from John Mays, north of Houston.

Some parts of this area have flooded severely over the years. And some, like my neighborhood, can take just about anything mother nature can throw at it.

My job took me nearly to Galveston today and by the time I left there, the heavy rain bands were coming through. Winds were manageable at around 25 mph.

For greater Houston, however, the real tale will be tomorrow through around Thursday. This thing is supposed to just sit and generate rain in nearly epic amounts.

My wife's little sister and her family live a few miles from the water, just up the coast from Corpus Christi and have boarded up their home and fled north to stay with another sister who lives in Austin. Their home seems to be directly in the bullseye from what I'm seeing now. Her husband is a Texas Game Warden and is staying in a fortified structure the state has near there. He'll go check on the house after Harvey rolls through.

(Message edited by rustyfords on August 25, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Well sad to say it is now a Cat 4 storm, winds 130+ MPH. Torrential rain. Talking 40" by the time it's all over. Gonna go up north, turn around, sweep along the coast by Corp. Christie, and head up towards Houston. Those people are shaking in their boots as they have no place for the water to go. They need our prayers. My beloved Christine, my former '15 Touring, is one of Bob's on the Upper Gulf's fleet now, and I hope she and all his others make it through without drowning. Prayin for all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:00 am:

Saturday morning. I am 35 miles west of Houston and live on a 200 foot wide creek right out the back door. Bessie's Creek.
Winds this far from the center of the storm yesterday were only 35-40 miles per hour but last night we had 10" rain locally and the forcast is for constant rain for the next 3-4 days. Running on generator now as power went out 3 hours ago. Have lived here all my life so am over prepared as far as food, electricity, water etc.
Problem will be a huge amount of flooding. The Houston area is on the Coastal plains and terrain is flat so once the ground is saturated and bayous, creeks and rivers flooded everything backs up especially during high tide in the Gulf. The good news is that everyone had warning of this event. I am amazed how many folks on the Internet were scrambling yesterday looking for generators and bottled water. Us humans just never learn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:24 am:

20-25 Tornadoes spotted on radar overnight in the Houston area but no physical reports until the Sun comes out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:16 am:

We get our share of wind and rain----the worry here is a tsunami------I can not imagine the storm in the Texas area my heart and prayers are for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:49 am:

We're having a turd floater rain and great wind gusts here about 30 miles south of Austin. Surprised DISH Network is still on the air. The hurricane eye just passed between Victoria and historic Goliad where the T Fords of Texas has a planned tour next weekend. Should be nice and sunny by then. Thanks to all for your concern..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Beef eaters don't pass turds that float ....

That ther' be them Dandelion Salad Eatin' Califunians ....

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:31 am:

I'm not too far away from Bobby south of Houston. Some power outages this Saturday morning. My house is without power right now. Lotsa rain and wind. That big red rain band dumped a lot of rain on Houston overnight and this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Truly extraordinary video at the link below....made as the eyewall made landfall.

Go to the 55 minute mark to see it get really bad.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1zqKVRbYXWWKB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I live less that 10 miles southeast of Michael Pawelek, but in a subdivision; not in country. We have had heavy rain and some wind, but not what they were expecting, but no one knows where the storm is going, so we may get. more. We have not lost power. My wife awakened me to say that a storage facility in Katy had been hit by a tornado and it was on the local TV news. Scared to death because I have an office warehouse in Katy full of parts and my 27 coupe. I called a friend who has office/warehouse directly across from mine and confirmed it was not our location. It was less than a half mile from my brother's house, though. I do have a cousin and his wife that live in sight of the beach at Alamo Beach/ Port Lavaca. That entire area was under mandatory evacuation order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

I am now at the family farm near schulenburg on I10. We have had lots of wind and light rain but nothing severe yet. The storm center is about 50 miles south of me. I'm glad I left the Houston house as it has been without power since about 3am this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Pretty light going 25 miles SW of SA. Only had a smidgen over 1/4" (.26") of rain and 10-20mph winds off and on. Electric has stayed on so far as well as satellite TV. We're still waiting for the heavy rain though. Could really use it here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Don - Your video requires an App. ??? What's up wit dat?

(Message edited by kskopsky on August 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Good so far in Santa Fe, Texas. 9.5 inches of rain since 4a yesterday. T's are all high and dry. Rockport, Texas not so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

I have a son that rode it out in Corpus. He is starting to think about siphoning gas from the wife's car for the generator. They have no clue how long they might be without power. Allen Brintnall S W Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

That's weird Stephen. It plays fine on my MacBook.

FWIW. It's not my video. I found it online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Plays fine with windows 10 Stephen. Incredible post.
The only good part of this storm is the amount of time Texas area has to prepare. If a tsunami hits our area its likely to give an hour to get to high ground here if you can after an earth quake predicted at nine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

This has been some much needed rain in our area. We were in a 2-3 month drought and the grass had turned to dirt and cracks in the ground were wide enough to twist an ankle in places. 7 inches of rain and counting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Good luck and keep your cars dry if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:13 am:

It's been raining for over 24 hours here but I haven't been overly concerned because there have been periodic breaks in the rain.

Now, however, there's a feeder band that's absolutely dumping large amounts of rain on us. As I mentioned above, my home can take it, but the surrounding areas cannot.

I am growing concerned for a lot of people in the Houston area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:45 am:

Long night and not over. 3 am here now. So far so good for me. I have had over 15+ inches of rain since 4am yesterday. Still raining Lots of friends with water in their houses. My TT and WW2 Jeep in barn probably sitting in 4 inches of water. Garage still dry so both '15s and TT fire truck dry so far. Really lucky so far Most my City has water in houses. Earlier had worst lightening storm I can remember and I been here 66 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:04 am:

12 inches of rain here as of a few hours ago. Personally still high and dry but, like Bob, I have several friends who have water in their homes, some who've never had it happen in 40 years.

Rained hard all night long....still raining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Lots of rain overnight and today. Water got up over the sidewalk. Rain gutters overwhelmed in the rear and the patio flooded but fortunately not into the house. Fell asleep at 2am. Woke up to many tornado and flash flooding alerts. Never lost power. Got wet rearranging gutter downspout plastic diverters. I dunno how many inches of rain came down from this storm. I heard 21 inches in League City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Best wishes to Tony & the rest of you in TX. Grim to see so many places I drove through being inundated so relentlessly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

You south Texas guys OK? Lots of rain here but no flooding yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Glad to hear our Texas friends seem to be riding this beast out. Don- have you heard from John Mays? I know he is near the San Jac river...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Monday evening. The first mile of road from my house to the county road is 4 feet under water and the creek behind my house has risen 20 feet and is now over 200 yards wide and flowing around 200,000 cu. ft. water per minute. I have lived here for 48 years and have never seen so much water. We will know by tomorrow if we get any inside as we are a island right now. We are safe, have plenty of water, food and a generator with 500 gallons of propane way above water level. House is two story so we can always go upstairs. Also have great neighbor's down the road with a good boat so all is well.

We are great full so far. Literally 100's of thousands in the Houston area flooded out and the rivers will not crest for two days. The good news is that hundreds of boaters from outside the Houston area, especially from Louisiana, have been here two days going into subdivisions getting folks out. There are still good folks left in this country willing to help out complete strangers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

PS- Dumped out my rain gauge many times and have recorded 32 inches of rain!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Michael, have you heard anything from Terry Woods ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

I just got a disaster relief notice here in New Orleans. There will be a group headed to Houston next week. Only minor flooding here, mostly because of some failed pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Hi Peter....I just drove by John May's driveway. It's only a couple miles from my house.

It looks good in his area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

George, All the subdivisions in Terry Woods area are being evacuated due to the Brazos River going over a record breaking level tomorrow. Most of these areas have levees but this is now being called a 800 year flood. The sad thing is that most all major hi ways in Houston are impassible and these folks are being told to drive to San Antonio 150 miles away. This is a huge mess and will still be in the critical stage for another week. Terry may have gone to relatives houses in Katy, Texas if they are not flooded also.
PS- Katy, Texas named after the MKT railroad line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Gonna be a long night again in Santa Fe, Texas. North of Galveston Island and south of Houston. Town next door is Dickinson. It has a mandatory evacuation of the entire City. Raining very hard again here. We are starting with a much worse deficit that the first round. Hoping the total inches will enough less to keep the water below the high water mark from first round. I can not stand much more elevation before water will be in house. Will be keeping watch and drinking coffee until morning. After a career in Public Safety I retired four months ago. I was hoping for more time without a weather event. It is a strange thing to be at my house. For 40 plus years I have been in a Fire Station or an Emergency Operations Center. I am not accustom to knowing what is going on at my house until days after and event. This seems really odd to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Michael, Terry is in the Richmond area. Just got a text from him. There house is on a small rise and on an island now. They are dry, but out of drinking water. I don't know about electricity .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Hey Michael, George, and everyone. We're in no trouble, yet. We do have drinking water and our subdivision is located in one of the highest places in Fort Bend County. No flooding or evacuations, yet and hope there aren't any. My parts and Grandfather's 27 coupe not so lucky. They're in city of Katy and virtually the entire town is waist deep or more in water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Just got off the phone with Terry Woods and they are ok. There sub division is raised so they don't have any local flooding, but the major roads around them are impassable . They have power and about 10 gallons of drinking water. Water out of the pipes is still clear and no one has told anybody that it's not safe. I told him to fill the bath tub anyway. If things weren't tough enough ,poor fellow came down with bronchitis and sounds like Vito Corleone . Hang in there Terry !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:41 am:

To add to that, George, I can't get to any doctor's office and they aren't at their offices because they can't get them. If it was a life or death situation, I'd have to call 911 for the Life Flight helicopter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:43 am:

We're still high and dry here. I just texted John Mays and he's ok as well

The release of the floodgates at Lake Conroe has caused flooding here in areas that were ok until last night and we know some of the families well.

I'm hoping that we're seeing the pinnacle of this thing now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Terry:

It's probably not acceptable to you for the suggestion to stay calm, but take it step by step, and if you do have a medical emergency stay calm for the wait may be longer than you expect. I'm not in your area but have experienced a similar emergency flood episode. Take care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Still dry and draining okay here. Waiting for the next rain band and hopefully the last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Jeff,

How is you dad doing?

Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Sun just poked through the clouds in Conroe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Bob, I don't know if you were referencing my post or that of George Clipner, but I have been too calm according to my wife. She was in a flash flood in the middle of night when she was a teenager and she hasn't been able to sleep through this until the rain stopped and the sun came out. On the other hand, I have been confident throughout the whole ordeal that our house and subdivision was the last place it would flood in the county. I slept like a baby every night and the only worry I've had was if our roof suffered damage and leaked, which it didn't. Yes, I've developed bronchitis, but its not a medical emergency and my only worry is my cars and parts in an area that flooded. The sun was out all day, today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Finally...Sun in Santa Fe, Texas. Started raining Friday afternoon. Stopped Tuesday afternoon. 50+ inches of rain over the entire event. Last guy to see this much rain in a single event...Noah.
The good news for me is I do not have a single insurance claim to file. No water in house, garage, or barn. Not even a wet tire on a Model T. Very blessed. Fatalities 5 miles from my house that are already known. Probably more to come. Most my friends got water in homes. Anything from 2 inches to 2 feet.
Better sleep tonight and better day tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Yes, the sun came out briefly today for the first time since Friday. Lots and lots of flooded house owners have disgorging their contents. Even some very recent home construction built to flood code 3 feet above grade flooded anyway.

I've been through 4 Houston hurricanes and tropical storm Allison. I've never seen anything like this. They were only letting small groups at a time into the grocery store to prevent looting or riots. Crazy.

The good news: electric grid was not demolished like in Hurricane Ike. No electricity for 2 weeks after Ike was truly bad. Refrigeration is a modern marvel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration