Rim Protectors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rim Protectors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I bought a pair of Motion Pro Rim Shield rim protectors from Amazon. After reading Ron's article, I was hesitant, but did it anyway. They cost less than $15 for the pair (even here in California), and they arrived in two days. I haven't had a chance to mount a tire yet, but I know they will work. I used a NOS 30X3 wheel that was handy, and layed the rim protector on the rim. The advantage of using a wheel as opposed to just a rim is a spoke supports it while heating. I used a head gun as Ron suggested, and slightly pulling on it in less than a minute the old shape gave way to the new! Before it cooled I tapped the edge with a rawhide mallet just to make sure it conformed. Thanks to Ron Patterson for a great tip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

I should have proof read the post. HEAT GUN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

I have just used the guards myself on a set of newly painted McLaren wire wheels I make. Worked flawlessly!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration