Felt Gasket between Steel Firewall and Body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Felt Gasket between Steel Firewall and Body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

I have read past posts regarding the felt gasket used between the steel firewall and body but they refer to a thin strip that only runs along the top. Happened to be looking at the shop manual and saw this illustration that shows the felt as running along the entire perimeter. Wondering if I should do the same and if any others have used a full length gasket.

Gasket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Mark

that's a heavy woven tape that is riveted to the perimeter...

Not the felt strip that you're wondering about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Mark, the illustration shows the lacing that the hood sits on. I make a gasket to go between the firewall and body using some two inch rubber foam strip. Solid rubber is a bit too stiff, foam draft strips too soft and not durable. On the corners a series of darts will allow the 2" foam rubber to follow the curves at the top. I glue it to the firewall with contact cement ton hold it in place during fitment.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Allan, yes I see the hood lacing on the top edge running along the outer edges. That's not what I'm referring to. It's the 2" wide looking seal that appears to be affixed along the entire face of the firewall that would be sandwiched between the firewall and body.

Scott is describing this as a "heavy woven tape." I was thinking this might be a variant of the shorter felt strip that goes between the body and firewall along the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Now I see it Mark. Felt is usually made with felted wool fibres. As such, its use a seal in that location would mean it would have to be impregnated with a sealant of some type, as we do with silicone on the hogshead felt. Such a large piece stamped from a sheet of material would leave much material unused if other gaskets could not be cut from the reminder.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

15 or 30 pound roofing felt works good. I've used 30lb. just because I had some on hand but I think the 15lb. is closer to original. No comment on the bituminous roofing tar impregnated there in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:07 am:

I just measured a NOS original I have for someone on this forum, and it is 19" long and 1" wide. If you have a '25 it is held on with three hood lacing rivets. If it is 1924 and older it uses five rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Larry, making the strips to those dimensions makes sense, rather than the deep horseshoe shown in Mark's posting. I have never seen such a gasket on the cars we have from Canada. As they came in chassis form, I guess they were not supplied. I have seen various seals used for the same purpose, from flat rubber to brass T moldings, on different Colonial bodies.

I had wondered why the steel firewalls were drilled with those holes that you mention for the rivets. I learned something else today.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

See my post Making/Installing Felt Firewall Gasket ... to see what I finally did.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration