Clutch adjustment, a little confused

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clutch adjustment, a little confused
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:08 am:

I was looking for a little clarification on the order on which to adjust my clutch, and then neutral on my '25 pick up. So I am going to explain what I think it is and you tell me if and where I am wrong.

My base adjustments shows the clutch spring is at 2" and the I have 13/16 between the drive plate and fork ring. The car slips a bit in high gear. So i adjusted the 3 clutch fingers a 1/2 turn.

Then I readjusted the slow speed link by pulling the low pedal back, turning the clevis so it was a 1/16" short as per the neutral adjustment article posted many times. Then installed the pin.

Then, if needed, I can adjust the bolt on the clutch lever for more neutral if needed.

1) If I adjust that bolt on the clutch lever, do I need to readjust the slow speed link again after?

2) I also am assuming if I adjust the three clutch finger screws that I then need to readjust the slow speed link again?

I think I have over thought all of this and thoroughly confused myself. What really baffles me is that it all seemed to be fine before I pulled the hogs head, but now high gear slips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Check out the adjustment article here:

https://modeltfordfix.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

When you adjust the clutch fingers leave a tiny bit of clearance on the fingers. The clutch fingers adjusted with 1/64 - 1/32 clearance will then have nothing to do with slipping in high gear. The slipping will be caused by a weak or broken main spring or worn out discs or maybe not the correct amount of discs in the clutch assembly.
To attain neutral just adjust the bolt until neutral is attained with the lever about half way back. The neutral adjustment and the clutch finger adjustment are not in any way related

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

I did some work on a friends 23 today, next step is pulling and replacing the spring and maybe clutch disks. It has the round wire spring and it/and or the clutch is going south. Before adjusting the fingers to get some clutch it was slipping I had 13/16 plus 1/8-3/16 gap. It's a bit more then that now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:50 am:

The round spring is from the original "Watts" clutch pack with the fiber discs - that spring is really too strong !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Steve, so the plan with a new Watts clutch would be to use a new "stock" style spring from the vendors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

First, make sure your 3 clutch ring Pins stick through the Transmission Rear Plate about 1/4th to 3/8th inch.

The Clutch Finger Adjustment Screws are larger than those pins and cannot push them through the Back Plate.

If Turbo 400 Disks are installed the full disk stack may be a little short of what is required for the overall thickness to allow those pins to stick through far enough to engage a good high gear operation.

Then too, if the stack is thick enough and the clutch linkage is not properly adjusted, you will lose any high gear capability in just one parade, with those disks rubbing against each other, while you are using low for the whole parade.

This photo shows a normal pin length.

Pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

I believe so Mark - they are in the 110 lb. range - RV would be the "go to guy" to correctly answer that question as he is the fellow remaking the Watts clutch disc kits.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration