Brass Hood Former?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass Hood Former?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

In disassembling my 1910 T, I discovered that the hood former, which certainly appears to be original to the car, is actually brass under all the paint! Is this right? I've never heard of a T with a brass hood former. I'm wondering if it's an early replacement, but why brass? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I never heard of one but I learn something new every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Bill this has been a semi raging controversy for some time. If you stick a magnet on yours, is it brass plated steel or solid brass. If it's brass is it stamped or cast?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I just took some scotch brite to the back side and it's definitely brass! A magnet does not stick to it and it appears to be cast. I know it's a bad picture, but you can see how bright it is when cleaned of all paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I looked it over pretty closely and I'm pretty darn certain it's cast; there are several imperfections on the back side. After removing all the old paint, would you leave it natural brass or repaint it the Brewster green?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Are the holes counter sunk? That years ago was the way to tell if it was a repo or not. The bottom edge on all originals I have see have a slight break towards the engine where the hood would set. Jim Finney was involved in have those reproduced long ago. He said he had enough of them to build a three acre fence around his house at one point in both the notched and later style. I never asked what material his were made of though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/720607.html?1486024151

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Mark, the holes are indeed countersunk - does that mean it's a repo or original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

All originals 9-12 I have ever touched have had counter sunk holes for oval head slotted wood screws. I have made up notched hood formers for other folks out of repos and all of the repos I have worked on are missing the counter sunk holes and an edge that you can feel that is turned down at the outer edge of where the hood rests but on the bottom of the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

I'm pretty sure this is original, but I'm not sure what material it is. I started to put some paint remover gunk on it, and it has stripped away most of the layers of paint but the metal looks light grey until I hit it with very fine scotch brite, then it takes on a brass like look. I can tell you that it's rather heavy and a magnet will NOT stick to it anywhere and the bottom edges are rather rough. Tomorrow I will try to remove more of the paint but it's a mystery as to what kind of metal this is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Maybe it's aluminum that was alodined to prepare it for paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

It's pretty heavy; I'd think aluminum would be lighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Years and years ago, there was someone making repro hood formers out of brass. Every once in awhile one pops up for sale. Probably made back in the day before someone had made tooling to stamp them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:26 am:

What does the factory drawing for the hood former say? Is it available? The details of manufacture and of changes to a part are sometimes pretty sketchy for the earlier parts and sometimes there are change dates on the drawings with no documentation in the record of changes. What makes matters worse is there were some really accomplished craftsmen like Ernie Brown (R.I.P)that could make just about anything and make it look so darn authentic that it could pass for NOS. I mean no disrespect for Ernie since he was simply helping the hobby and not trying to defraud anyone. I miss him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:44 am:

Ernie was one of the great ones, nice guy and super talented. I still have quite a few things he made.
Bill, I've never seen a cast hood former, please post what material it's made of when you find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Here are several pictures of the area I cleaned (mostly) of paint. As you can see, it looks pretty rough. I don't know if this indicates cast or not. I am pretty confident that it is brass, although the photos don't show the "yellow" as it does in person. Again, no magnet will stick to it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration