RAJO Overhead 4 valve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: RAJO Overhead 4 valve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I recently bought a 4 Valve (Type A) Rajo Head, the guy I bought it from, ran it for the past 30 plus years, what I was concerned about, is there is no RAJO raised letters on the head over the spark plug side like I have seen on others heads, Is this a repo or did they make these on some heads without the RAJO. Some one over the years made a full length valve cover which did not come on this head. Is there anyone out there that is repoping the 2 piece vale covers. Also looking for head gasket for this head. There was an article years back in MTFCAForum on history of the Rajo head but I cannot locate it.Any help on valve covers, gaskets or operation installation would be of great help. Thanks Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Sam If you google this,
"head gasket for rajo 4 valve heads"
many ideas are presented. Hope this helps, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Sam this may be exactly what you want http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/652907.html?1466557126 Tom
gasket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Langs still list a gasket, 3002OH4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Olsen gasket is now selling a copper gasket for a four valve
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Sam, Bill Klemmer in Australia was remaking the 4 valve Rajo heads back around 30 years ago. I believe they worked well, but service backup and parts availability were patchy. I do not know how to identify these from originals.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Sam, give Olson's Gasket a call. They have a full copper jacket head gasket for the 4 valve. I have one and it works perfectly. That composite gasket Tom posted above is actually my engine. Even that gasket eventually blew, but this latest full copper jacket one is perfect. Haha, it better be for $175.

Also, if you're going to run the 4 valve head, strongly recommend you forego the 2 separate valve covers because you really need a 1 piece rocker shaft that connects the front and rear rocker towers. You could still run those separate covers but you'd need to modify them to make them work. I just use oilers instead. Gotta oil all of that stuff anyway, so easier to leave covers off for me and just hit it all with the oil can. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Also, my understanding is that originally the head came with a 1 piece valve cover that was open at the back. It was supposed to be the only head you could install without modifying the firewall, partly thanks to that valve cover.

My head is an Alumnium repro and it has the raised Rajo letters on the spark plug side. I suspect that if yours is iron and does not have the raised letters it is probably the real deal. The two piece valve covers are not original, but were made by the same guy who was reproducing the head in Australia. I don't swear to that though, it's just what I've heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

The reproduction heads have little raised nipples in the casting, the originals did not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

The Australian repos have little nipples in the casting, see the one above the bolt hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Ed, mine is aluminum but doesn't have that little nipple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

The Australian cast iron repos do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

I have an iron 4 valve with the R properly cast but plain raised blocks where the A J & O should be. It came with a real flakey set of rockers that are just a 1 to 1 ratio and the stands have been known to loosen up. I always suspected that it was a repro but don't know for sure. It was on my speedster until I got my Fronty and then lived on a buddy's Tudor for a while. For now it rests on the shelf until I decide if I want to try it on my coupe. These heads really like domed pistons and 1 to 1 1/2 rockers if you want them to really wake up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration