Another clutch adjustment story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another clutch adjustment story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

I am getting ready for our HCCA Fall tour and decided to take my BEATER. I have a 1912 Hack fully restored, and a well restored 1915 touring both of which have been on our tours and successfully made the tours. But, I have this 1916 BEATER that has not been restored, has a 1921 engine with a starter, has a 1922 rear end because the original was worth more to a restorer and I had this rebuilt rear end in the barn. I like to drive the car as it is very faithful and fun to drive and park where people can climb on and feel the paint, (or lack there of). In testing it this Saturday I noticed that going into high the clutch slipped a bit. I then noticed that when cruising along at about 30 mph the car would surge a bit and when going up an incline a bit more. I took the trans cover off and took 1/2 turn on the finger screws and solved the problem. Simple easy fix!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Excuse my ignorance and inexperience...what are fingers screws?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Jay: it's them thar funny looking bolts with the slot im dem and they touch the cluutch finger thingy. 337-1/2 iis the number It is held in place by a coottter pin and you hope to hell you don't drop in the bottom or the big abyss.
Hope you'all understand me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Jay,

They are the adjuster screws that go in the 3 high speed clutch fingers. They are identified in the schematic below;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

You mentioned you took 1/2 turn on the finger screws, which way did you turn them? Usually as clutch discs wear the finger screws are required to be turned inward to maintain a good neutral. A slipping clutch is usually not related to the clutch finger adjustment (except if adjusted too tight) clutch slippage is usually because of a weak or broken main spring. In your case if it corrected the condition then the fingers must have been too tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I turned them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Dick, I wish I would've known to try that on my 24 short box pickup's slippy clutch a few years ago.
I had long since lost track of this forum at the time so I replaced originals with the turbo 400 set I had prepped and hanging on the wall.
Turning the screws in puts a trifle more compression on the spring and in effect, tightens the clutch pack.
The original clutch is FAR smoother.
I'm glad you brought this simple but important reminder up! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration