Explosion whistle feedback

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Explosion whistle feedback
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Hi guys, I am looking for input on your experience with this whistle. What were your likes and dislikes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Sorry, I dislike the sound they make. I seem to be in the minority on that, most people seem to love them! At least on their cars.

Any and every body can feel free to let me have it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I only put mine on when I had it for parades rest of the time it was off the car. I don't mind the sound and the crowds enjoyed it, along with the exhaust whistle and ahwoga horn. :-) Can't have too many bell, horns and whistles for a parade!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

They raise the spark plug out of the combustion chamber for poor performance. An exhaust whistle would be much better as it would not change performance but I have no experience with those.

I put a spark plug whistle on once and took it off the next day, car ran bad when pulling it and the little tweet did not impress me. If I can find it I might put it inline with the air compressor and see if it will make a noise better than a small bird.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Tim you must have a bad one. Most of the ones I have had made plenty of "TWEET" even running at low parade speeds.
I do not recommend them for everyday driving for just the reasons Tim gave re they put the plug too far up out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

For those who may not be aware, there are three methods in which an explosion whistle may be installed:

1) in the spark plug hole using a spark plug adapter

2) if the motor was originally equipped with priming cups, the whistle may be installed in lieu of a priming cup. This may also involve an adapter if the whistle threads do not match the priming cup threads

3) tapping into the combustion chamber and screwing the whistle directly into the head of the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Hi Scott,

These explosion whistles DO have a distinctive sound which many like and some abhore.

As mentioned above by raising the plug out of the combustion chamber WILL decrease efficiency in the cylinder with the whistle and that can be a reason to install it for parade use only.

I did hear a sad report some years ago of a fellow who had one of these whistles on his car and while he was operating the whistle when climbing a hill the crankshaft broke! The suspicion was that the crankshaft already had a crack growing and the use of the whistle unbalanced the engine while under load on the incline and the crankshaft said "ENOUGH".

Now, plenty of people have used these whistles over the years (including me) without distress. They can be fun. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 02:34 am:

Happy with mine - EXCEPT that it keeps working loose, even after a thread tape experiment. Result is I took it off again- but it was fun while it lasted.

As to performance drop, well, I can't rightly say that I noticed any drop at all. It must be too slight to make much difference.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration