1927 Detroit Police Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1927 Detroit Police Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Anyone else see this one on T-bay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332357123803

I'm thinking the DPD would not have a fancy radiator cap or leather interior. The lettering on the back also looks too nice.

Any thoughts on authenticity of this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Side door lettering is similar to what they would have used, at least in the 1950s and 1960s. The rear lettering does not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

The license plate does not say "Public Use". (That's a joke.) It surprises me to see the extra expense of wire spoke wheels, plate on running board besides leather seats. The red pedestal light looks way too modern. Before the A came out, I would expect to see something more like a paddy wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

There's also no divider between the front and back seats. I presume bad guys in the 1920's would not have sat politely in the back seat because they were told to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

It appears it is being sold by someone who knows nothing about Model T's. Also, why would you purchase it one year and sell it the next unless something is wrong with it. Sounds fishy to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

In the Vieux Carre, we still use horses for patrol while a paddy wagon van is parked on a side street to hold the offenders.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Dave I was thinking the same thing. Esp calling out I had to have it and drove a long way to get it this last winter?
No divider, that's what a paddy wagon was for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

It is a two door sedan. Can't really divide a two-door sedan. Like so many things, they were done differently back then. A lot of police patrol cars were open touring cars. Talk about "escape proof"?
It would be nice to know any real history of the car. I don't see anything to say it is? Or isn't? A real police car. But the incorrectly mounted spotlight doesn't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I really like the overall equally spread patination on the door lettering. Looks like someone tried too hard to me.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Vern, in Michigan (at least recently) the government plates had an X dividing the right and left portions of the license plate. Not sure when that started.

x plate

More recently, "Y" plates were added for non-profits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

I agree with Allan Bennett. The patination on the door lettering looks fake....like someone tried too hard.

Original paint antique cars are my favorite kinds of antiques. I've owned some extraordinary examples over the years and currently have a 66 F100 that is remarkable. This one, however, doesn't look right.

It's fine for what it is....a reproduction of an old cop car. But I noticed that the seller is being really careful not to say that the car is an authentic police car. Instead, the seller says that the items on the car are "real 1920's" items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:00 am:

POS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I don't understand why he had to have this car, drove really far to get it - in winter no less - and is dumping it now, half a year later. He posted a video of it driving and his kids loving it, but now he can't start it, it doesn't run, and is for sale? I'm guessing he did some serious damage or discovered something bad and is trying to punt the problem on someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

To the best of my knowledge, DPD in the twenties used Lincolns pretty much exclusively.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Eido - Can't help but agree with you. Something (or someone) has caused a huge change in the present owners interest in this car. Possibly, some sort of "life change" for him, or, perhaps, as you say, possibly some sort of problem with the car that has been discovered, or developed since he has owned it. I believe that any prospective buyer should be very, very careful here, depending on final selling price and willingness to consider a complete tear-down and full restoration. Still, for the right price, a very nice "project", ...... FWIW ...... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

A few years ago, a good friend in a few of the clubs I used to belong to had an early '20s Cadillac touring car. It was a high mileage car with a known history clear back to the dealer that first sold it. I don't recall what city, but the car was first used as a police car, and remained such for several years. When it was "retired", it was stripped of all the extra goodies and looked like any other 1922 Cadillac touring car.
I am not sure what all that means? Many cities used large expensive cars for police use in those days? (Yes, the histories and original photos show that, but they also show quite a lot of model Ts used by police.) Most original police cars were stripped of that stuff when they were retired from active service? (Probably.) A known sample of one does not mean much? (True, but I have heard of others also.)

This fellow had a nice small collection, and has actually shown a few of his cars at Pebble Beach over the years. I haven't seen him for a few years now, but I hope he still does have and do all that. Very nice guy. Much of his collection was nicer than that Cadillac, but he loved it, and always said he would keep it the rest of his life. It was his favorite tour car. Very reliable, in spite of its high mileage. Unfortunately, he wound up in a messy divorce, and sold most of his lifetime keepers. Don't feel too badly for him though. A few years later, he replaced that Cadillac with a Locomobile Sportif. I went on a few tours which he drove that Sportif on. Wow, what a car!
I do often wonder what became of that Cadillac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Must have had the back end covered all its life of service as the lettering on the back looks new still,,,,,,hmmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Sorry for the late post but I ran across this from a 1933 movie. It shows a good example of a font from that era.
1933 font

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:33 am:

WHAT would a cop with a Model T be able to catch?
A cold?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration