Grease cup question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grease cup question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:18 am:

Hey all,

I was cleaning some parts tonight and among them were the two grease cups for the drive shaft tube. The smaller one had a ring of crud on it that I started picking off before I saw that it seemed to be attached. Was there originally an o-ring crimped onto them, maybe for some friction to keep the cap from backing off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:31 am:

I believe they used leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Thanks Larry. Whatever was on there it's pretty gnarled. I'm going to use it as-is and if I lose the cap somewhere down the road I'll just order a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

I found the same thing, and found it to bebleather. I was dismayed to find the normal go-to suppliers don't have such an animal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

It's packing. In addition to keeping the cap from vibrating off, it's so that as you screw down the cap it forces the grease into the bearing rather than out around the threads of the cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

It is held in place by the upsets made when the hex on the stem was formed. The leather washer must have been placed before the stem was formed. Replacing the leather would be problematical. Stretching an O-ring over the upsets may be possible. Otherwise, go without and wipe off any grease which gets past the threads.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration