Lowering Body onto Chassis with Friends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lowering Body onto Chassis with Friends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Now that I was satisfied that the engine was running propery and that the bands had no fitting problems I asked some friends to come over yesterday and help lower the body onto the chassis. It took all of five minutes.

I haven't bolted it down firmly yet. Will be working on the hood to cowl adjustments and also running board bracket tweaking in the next couple of days. There is at least one side of the bracket that will need heating and coaxing into the right plac

Body

Body

Body three

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Sweet !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Nice looks like it will be ready for a test drive real soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Not a better feeling to see a project coming together...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Looking good Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:27 am:

1923?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I think the splash guards should have gone between the frame brackets and the body brackets? Probably easy to lift the body a fraction and slip them in there, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Lester, ... yes, this was just to get the body onto the chassis. Now that it's sitting there I can slip the splash aprons in by just lifting the body a little. I did notice that the body sits a little low where it meets the firewall. I guess the splash aprons take up some of that. Not sure if shims are added to get the correct interface.

Yes, Larry .. its a 1923 with low hood and steel firewall. By the way ... got the battery box installed with an original lid. Went to put it in before laying on the body ... and was missing one clamp. Ugg. Other than that it looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Nice work and looking good.
I had feared from the title it was a Hot Rod thread " Lowering Body".
Keep up the good work.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

One question Mark. Who is operating the optical still life capturing device?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Wow, nice to have a crew like that around! I hope they were rewarded with lavish amounts of feed and water. Your project is really coming along nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Is that what you call a Kodak Moment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

More of an iPhone moment. My wife, France, documented the event. Poor dear ... she is a very skilled photographer, but is usually behind an 8x10 camera shooting glass plates. Google France Scully Osterman to see her work. But the light was difficult (cloudy bright is always better than sunny) and the action happened quickly. She got some good shots nevertheless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

She got at least three great shots!
What would you "guesstimate" the weight of that Runabout's body to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

I don't really know ... can lift up one side by myself. Maybe 200 lbs at the most. Of course by the time you add windshield, dashboard, seat bottom, floor boards, side lights ... it would be heavier.

After I removed it from the frame back in November the fellow in the yellow T shirt and I lifted it up into the rafters of my cir 1919 garage so it would be out of the way while I worked on the chassis over the winter. I had the body bolted to two 2x4s and hanging by four loops of nylon rope. I hit my head on that nearly every day I went in there to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Yep.
Very interesting Mark! I appreciate it.
Ow.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Looks great! Always nice to have a good pit crew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I'm going to be doing the same thing in a few weeks. I've got three more tires to mount first, so I can roll it around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration