What are these AC brakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What are these AC brakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

These look just like AC brakes for a model T but are larger. Any Ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

AC 1926-27 if they fit a 11" drum (big drum style)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

They look like AC Model 6 brakes for the improved Ford (large drum).

pic

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

That's what I thought but check this out could they be for a TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Mis-match-mix of parts I think. The AC forward mounting brackets look to be the originals that the new RM brakes are copied from. They are intended to mount on the radius rod bolts, and have a round rod for the brake lever to pivot on.
The bands and arm linkages may or may not be intended for a model T. That was a common type of brake used by hundreds of cars during the '10s and '20s. They mount from a rear anchor point and should have a square post to allow the band to slide forward and back as the brake was applied (small springs are involved in the anchor posts). This action helps keep the brake band from dragging when not being used to slow the car.
Those bands could be from a TT. They look a lot like the TT Bennett set I had years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I remember when Jack Sunderlin was making what he thought would be an improvement over the old original Rocky Mountain Brakes, and that is exactly what he did. He copied the large drum AC brake. I don't know why he chose rods however.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration