I have to figure out timing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I have to figure out timing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

The original motor and timer in my 1919 worked great.
After I changed the motor and put the original timer on it I got the impression that it wanted more advance.

Today I bent the timing rod a bit so it would advance more and the difference was amazing.
In fact I was surprised at the additional power and was able to easily exceed the speed limit.

This is the first time I have considered using anything except full advance once I got the car running.

I guess I need to start at the beginning and figure out how to get everything correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG97.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Fred
Here is everything you need to know:
The Model T Ford Ignition System and Spark Timing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Ron

that was a really great article. Good of you to repost it for Fred.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Sufficient timer adjustment range is an essential component in the chain of ignition variables needed to achieve optimal engine performance. Cylinder to Cylinder ignition timing variation is another essential variable which itself comprises several components: Timer contact to contact variation, spark plug to spark plug variation and of course; coil to coil dwell time to fire variation governed by coil point adjustment all impact cylinder to cylinder ignition timing.

You can minimize cylinder to cylinder timing variation by using a timer with good, clean, pit free electrical contacts, plugs set with the same spark gap and 4 coils adjusted for the exact same dwell Time to Fire spark. You will be equally amazed by how smooth and well your engine operates if you take the time and effort to address these other essential ignition performance variables too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration