Old photo - whatsit car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old photo - whatsit car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Here's an old photo from Sweden. Looks like an american car from the early 20's but what is it?
The second photo is the hubcap as far as it can be enlarged from the original photo.

car

hubcap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Star?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

It looks a little like a condensing Stanley to me.
Just guessing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

That was going to be my guess, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Taylor Andre on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

It does resemble a stanley, but it has a motometer and lacks the burner access flap on the running board. The front end resembles an essex I saw recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

1920 Cleveland model 40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Nice catch Dale. The peanut shape hub cap:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Yep, that distinctive hubcap! It was also used as the shape of the rear window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Cleveland was a lower priced car produced by Chandler.

Earlier this summer, I picked up this Cleveland hubcap for a National Wire Wheel (same company that made Pasco wire wheels for Fords, Chevrolet 490s and Overland 4s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Thanks, I knew I could count on you guys :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

I think it may actually be a 1919 Cleveland- it has no exterior door handles, which 1920 models definitely had. 1919 was the first year of production for Clevelands.

Now, the question is; Was this car exported to Sweden and the photograph taken there, or did someone in the U.S. send a picture to the folks back home showing off their big ol' American touring car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

It is definitely an early Cleveland Model 40. I have a 1920 4-door sedan. This touring has a 1-man top. Bodies were very dark blue (almost black) with black fenders.
Don A

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration