1910??????on EBAY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1910??????on EBAY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

I am no expert but I did look at the photos pretty hard and could not find anything I would attest to as a 1910 car.!!!! Anyone else see a 1910 part in the torpedo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

This is the problem of today, people listing veteran T's and thinking it's the real deal, give it several more years with out hand braking this type of listings and all buyers will think it's legit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Link?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Ford-MODEL-T-TORPEDO-/222625017263?hash=item33d57c2 daf:g:psgAAOSwLzhZodC1&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Me bad I sent them this note;
While this car might be someone interpretation of a 1910 torpedo it's a poor attempt. I would suggest doing some research. It's a fake.
Wrong running gear, body, top, fenders etc. The only thing that looks correct are the lights and radiator. If you are selling it for the owner, you are the face people are buying from not the owner, it's your feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Fenton, Missouri happens to be where a museum is that we visited two years ago but none of my photographs come up a match. The S# certainly speaks otherwise than 1910. I doubt this is fraud but I would think the buyer could claim that it was falsely advertised and get out of contract.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

First of all, I don't think there were ever any true Torpedo's in 1910 anyway. Second, wrong color. Third...well...it's just plain all wrong. Period. I agree with Vern. Let the buyer beware.
The trailer might be the best part of this "deal".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

It's not a museum selling it, it's a place called west port auto center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

It is cute. Beyond that . . . Mixed bag of parts and pieces with no attempt to really replicate a 1910 Ford. Looks like the builder didn't know anything about T's and didn't want to learn or really just didn't care.

Sure hope the buyer knows what he is/isn't getting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

What one might call a "dog's breakfast," as in poor families the dog only got to eat left-over table scraps.

Just in a quick look, wrong headlights, engine, carburetor, intake manifold, coil box, wheels, and tires.

Also short on Cotter Pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

"walnut wheel spokes"

Note the felt seals on the OUTSIDE of the front hubs. Now that's a new one for you…….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I think I see one cotter pin that might be 1910, but not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

'26-'27 pedals too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Vern, where is there a musuem in Fenton? That happens to be were I live and grew up. I know of no car museum around here. The nearest one is in Kirkwood about six miles away.

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Stephen, good call,
It was Fulton, Missouri that I went to a couple of years ago. Sorry, about the confusion. Well, I don't mind being corrected.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:25 am:

A rather strange nautical treatment in the rear. This car is not a Torpedo. Call it what it is. An interpretive suggestion of an early teens boat tailed roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 02:58 am:

It is the same the world over. There was a '1915 Roadster' listed on an Internet Auction site here a year or two back. Claimed to be a wonderful restoration of a very genuine original car. I will admit, it did have 1915 brass rimmed sidelights and tail-lamp but that is about where it stopped. A 26/27 chassis, 26 rear axle,26/7 stub axles, 26 pedals, 24/25 block & head, starter & generator, 4 dip pan, 'foreign' headlamps, home-made hood former (wrong shape) Home built body & fenders and 20's steering column and he wanted $20,000 + from memory. I and at least one other T owner reported it to the website & seller as a fraud, only to get warned off by the auction site and blacklisted by the seller. It eventually went from the site and I understand some SAP had bought it.

I had told the auction site that I was a T owner and 30 year member of MTFCA (so knew what I was talking about) but I guess the $150 potential fee from the seller was more alluring than facts or ethics ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:07 am:

Another "questionable item on eBay". See that thread. If you shop eBay, you better do you homework and know what you are buying. It's nobody's business but yours to educate yourself about what you are bidding on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:04 am:

Pretty sure 1910's no matter what body didn't have demountables either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:27 am:

It is listed as having walnut spokes!
I wish Ralph was here to comment on that.
That could be a very dangerous set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Martin Vowell, Of course it has demountables, they go with the non tapered spring leaves and radius rods UNDER the axle. It was obviously a "secret advanced experimental" prototype. Note also the running board supports made from 1" sq tube.

At least they are quoting a 1924 engine number, perhaps thinking that would get them off any legal hooks ?

The "1915" portrayed here, seller was quoting an age correct Eng. No. but the casting date was in the circular pattern of 1923-25.[ a clear intent to defraud ]

Mark Gregush, you say this has a nice set of lights. Yes, but right for a 1914.

(Message edited by v10pdownunder on August 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:05 am:

I like to give people leeway in their interpretations but in this case because it is being sold as something it's not. Along with the wrong things for 1910 listed above, it has pressed steel running board supports, missing the upper half of the windshield, 1913-14 black and brass lamps, 1919 style up front end, 1915 style up rear end, 26-27 coil box and that cape top is just ugly.
Wasn't there was a yellow car being sold in the past 1 or so of the same style, I wonder if this is the same car repainted white?
I too hope that buyers do their homework.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:53 am:

You guys are way off base. This is obviously a real 1910. It has a brass grease cup on the steering bracket, and no generator.

I'll give this car salesman the benefit of a doubt and assume that he's clueless and not crooked. If he persists in fobbing off this parts salad as a 1910 after being told what it really is, I see criminal charges or a big civil suit in his future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:06 am:

It's a lovely speedster and would be the envy of everyone at the ice cream shop.

Beyond that, I'm with Steve. Hopefully the seller is well-intentioned but ill informed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:40 am:

"Parts Salad" cars aren't limited to Ebay. You'll find plenty of them right here on this site as well. I don't see you guys calling those owners frauds or threating a law suit for misrepresentation. The tune changes when someone here presents a new Speedster, cutoff Roadster, Pickup or Depot Hack. The argument is always; "Well, it could have been built that way through the years".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

It really appears to me that somebody was inspired by the appearance of a Model S or SR. It really has a lot in common, appearance wise, with those models.

Stephen,

"The tune changes when someone here presents a new Speedster, cutoff Roadster, Pickup or Depot Hack."

Did you not see the classified ad a couple weeks ago when the fellow was trying to sell an "authentic restoration" 1915 Runabout? The tune usually does not change when someone is trying to sell something that is not what they say it is. However, we usually do NOT malign anyone who is proud of their car and wants to share it with us. The difference here is that the car is for sale under a false, or naïve, description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

The eye of the beholder again. If anybody here has been knowingly presenting a car as something it isn't, and has persisted in doing so after being given the facts, somehow I've missed it. I also don't see observing what could happen as making a threat. I'm willing to give a seller the information, but if he goes ahead without correcting his advertising it's up to the unfortunate buyer to take action when he finds out he's been had. I won't be that buyer, and I'm not the police.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

I could have sworn someone was selling plans for a T-based NRS of some sort but in the meantime, the car in question here reminds me a lot of this:
http://www.horselesscarriagereplicas.com/fordn.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

You guys have it all wrong. There is clearly a sign inside the trailer that says "1910". If that doesn't confirm authenticity, I don't know what does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

I didn't mean to stir the pot but I get tired of seeing hot rods labeled as 1923 Model T. Hot rods are an automobile expression that people enjoy but don't try to convince others that a car is 1923 or whatever and not even have a 1923 part in them. In North Carolina for some reason if one has a title and a bag of parts, they can get a title transferred and build what ever they want as a car and get it registered as a 1923 Model T. Several years ago our small town had a special celebration about the local school that was to be replaced. It involved a parade with a car for every year up through 2010. I agreed to take a 1924 T and was told that it was the earliest and therefore at the head of the parade. As we were doing the final lining up, I moved to the head of the line and along come a (guess what) 1923 Model T roadster. I asked the guy while he was revving his chev 350, what exactly is in the car that is 1923. His response was, "that chromed front axle was something like a 1923 Model T front axle".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

If someone is having someone sell a car for them then the salesman has to go with what information the owner tells them. But as I said, the bottom line is, the salesman selling the car, it's their face and company they work for that the the buyer sees and deals with, not the owner.
If I had 100% positive feedback (which I do) and was alerted that there might be some major discrepancy in what something is being sold as in one of my listing, I would take a good look at it, would check facts and make corrections as needed or end the listing. My good record is worth more then a commission.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration