1926 roadster w/ earlier front spindles questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 roadster w/ earlier front spindles questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Assembling a 1926 RPU on a '26/'27 frame and running gear. Have a 8 leaf rear spring and earlier 7 leaf front spring up front. Question is, will this set-up sit sort of level with '25 or earlier front spindles (have them)? Any pictures of this setup would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:19 am:

The 26/27 T's were lowered by a higher arc in the rear crossmember, no change in the rear spring 1918-27. In the front the 26/27 was lowered in two ways, partly with a new front spring with a lower arc and partly with the lowered spindles. If you use an older front spring and older spindles, you'll get the 09-25 height in the front but 26/27 height in the rear. The effect may be a pickup that looks overloaded when empty?
26/27 spindles and front springs are usually easy to find. Factory built roadster pickups got a 9 leaf rear spring and they may have been slightly higher, like a leaf thickness higher, but for most hobby use without much load it could give a rough ride..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:48 am:

OK, the first photo is as I bought it with a correct model spindles and the earlier arced spring. Whoever "restored this car didn't put on the correct low-arc front spring. The later spindles would add about and inch to the front axle height. Since the front end had a number of issues that needed addressing, I rebuilt it with the correct spring and better Improved car spindles. The net effect is to lower the front end a little more, but it drives and handles loads just as well as before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:34 am:

One of my customers has a 26 coupe that was done just as described above, it does look odd. It need the front end redone so the plan is to correct it at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Guess I'm looking for a set of 26/27 spindles then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 01:09 am:

Bob's in Lowes Park, Ill, has restored 26/27 spindles with new bushings for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Using the 26/27 spindles will only provide a 1/2 inch drop which is no big deal, IMO, but they also reduce the positive camber of the pre 26 spindles. My 27 touring has the correct low arch spring with pre 26 spindles. It came to me that way in 1994. Will change to 26 spindles when its time to do the king pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

The one on the Right is the 26-27 version.
(Not included is the early one-piece design.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

I use '26-7 spindles on my '21, because of the reduced camber. The front tires don't wear nearly so much (on the outside) as with the early-style spindles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration