Ford trademarking "Model T"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford trademarking "Model T"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I just read this on another forum,
"Ford Motor Company has filed an application to register Model T as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Ford Authority has discovered.

Filed on December 30th, 2016, the application is assigned serial number 87285391 and specifies that the mark will be used in conjunction with “automobiles”."

I think we all need to write the USPTO and protest this assignment, as it will undoubtedly negatively effect both clubs and all our suppliers. The long-established common usage of the term should make such an assignment irrelevant. It's somewhat akin to trademarking "Wheelbarrow"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

I read it is due to a fight with Tesla over the Model E, they have to show that they named cars with letters. They are renewing the Model T trademark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Chevrolet also had a Model T truck and I am sure there were others that called their car/trucks a Model T, not just Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

I doubt Ford will be granted the exclusive use of the word "Model T" as it is already used to refer to many other products. Usually, they will only allow you to register trademark rights for a specific and unique symbol and/or name. RAJO for example is a unique brand name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

USPTO site indicates the word "Model T" was already trademarked by Ford last year. Rights regarding the same were also given to several other companies which produce golf equipment, lighting fixtures, etc. to common a word not to be exclusive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Trademarking the word for automotive use only may benefit Ford to prevent Tesla from using during future production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:05 am:

There was plenty of prior use in automobiles before Ford got there. The single-cylinder French-front Oldsmobile was Model T in 1904. The straight-side single-cylinder Cadillac of 1907-08 was Model T. Back in the day, T was just the next letter after S.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration