Anyone have this issue? It's separated into 3 different sections. I've run it at idle to get it hot but that didn't help. Have not thrown it in the freezer yet though.
I've gotten them to go back down tapping them on an inflated spare like the factory instructions say. It really does work.
Some period articles have recommended tying a light rope to the meter in the correct orientation and swinging the meter in a circle until the fluid recombines.
Another recommends attaching the meter to the side of a jacked up rear wheel and having the engine spin the wheel until the fluids are combined.
Either way sounds amusing and quite dangerous so proceed with care!
I took a block of wood and with a large holesaw made a hole big enough to encompass the Motometer. I put a carriage bolt through the block, padded the hole with bubblewrap and trapped the Motometer with rubberbands in the wood and chucked it into my lathe for a few minutes and the fluid came back together.
Happens all the time. -Walter Higgins is right; tap the bottom against an inflated tire.
The same can happen with wall thermometers if they get lay down level. Centrifical force is about the only way, as described or if you know someone with a centrifuge ? A Bee-Keepers frame spinner might do it too, but need to be sure the thing is secured.
I prevent this problem by not having one.
I put them in a lathe and spin them. Works great.
I warned you fellows that once we computerized our Model T's theses kinds of problems would happen!
I just took the motometer that has been on a shelf for 40 years and tapped it on the spare tire. Can't believe that was all it took to make it usable after all these years. Thank you to all who have posted
What can I do with one that lost the red coloring and is just clear now. It is still accurate but hard to see. I don't see any replacement thermometers available.
Just repaired mine similar to the way Howard did. I wanted to avoid any chances of damaging it by "tapping". So used centrifugal force instead. I cut out the form in a 2x4 with a jigsaw, then spun it in the Drill Press for only a second or 2. As others said it worked great.