1925 license plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1925 license plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

My father owns a small hobby farm. On the farm stood a massive barn that partially collapsed last winter. It was a very unsafe structure so no one has scavenged the building since we acquired it. We razed the rest of the barn this summer, which allowed me to carefully explore the carcass. Today, looking through some rubble, I found a very nice 1925 Wisconsin license plate. It was in pretty nice shape, with some color still visible. It was a fairly low 4-digit number with an 'A' weight class, meaning there was a high probability that plate was once attached to a Model T. I was very excited to find that. Really cool find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Ed, I am originally from Milwaukee and probably 40+ years ago I attended a farm auction near Merrill, WI with a friend. As I slipped around in the mud I found that I was standing on a bunch of old license plates. I gathered them up and asked the auctioneer if they would be auctioned off soon. He laughed and told me to take them home as they were worthless. They were 1912 to 1948 and mostly pairs and had the date inserts for the war years too. When I moved I brought them with me to AZ but lost them in my second move here. Someone has a great set, hang on to yours. Cool find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

That is a cool find. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 07:51 am:

wonder if the barn was all wood or built on some sort of cinder block or tile foundation. Family house was destroyed by fire and the chicken coop was on a block foundation. When we raised it last year, the family member who did it found many old license plates used between the layers of block to seal in mortor or to keep critter from coming in through the spaces in the center of the blocks.
Starting in the 1920's and up to about WWII, so we kinda had a handle on when the coop was built.

Metal was metal, regardless of what was stamped or printed on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I tore down an old garage in the late '50s. It turned out that it was insulated with old newspapers. Somewhere around I still have a framed ad for a 1916 Oakland that I cut out of a page of the BOSTON POST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Eido, I have a matching set of 1925 Wisconsin plates in nice shape for sale at $75 if you know of anyone needing a matched set. Thanks Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration