Trailer for a '26 model T ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailer for a '26 model T ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:00 am:

I am a new owner of a 1926 model T coupe and have decided a trailer for it maybe a good idea. I have been to the Old Car Show at Greenfield Village and know my car doesn't run as smooth as it should judging by what I saw there. I did get accepted for this year's event but have visions of it breaking down on the 45 mile trip as I have only driven it around town. So I would really appreciate any advice what to look for as far as size etc. to look for in a trailer to be used for trips in Michigan. I have a 1500 dodge ram with a ball hitch on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:27 am:

You don't say what year the truck is, but a 1500 should have more than enough guts for moving a little T. For the trailer two axles are better than one. Enter MTFCA: trailer in Google and you'll find enough recommendations to keep you reading for hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

For occasional trips renting a UHaul double-axle open car trailer isn't a bad way to go. I did that until I found a used double-axle trailer which now serves my purposes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Before a caved in and bought an enclosed T trailer, I hauled our Fordor on an open trailer, including a Uhaul. I like to wrap the car around the top of the car with stretchy plastic wrap. It helps keep the bugs off, and the doors closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Richard,

Perhaps a forum member who lives nearby can help you out with diagnosing and fixing your problems.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

What do you think of your car? Myself a good trailer is a long term investment and i have seen some very nice cars hauled on junk!We started with junk,moved to a nice twin axle open, and for close to 20 ears have had a 18'x8'6" enclosed.What do you think of your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Richard,

Please consider joining us: http://casualts.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

I like Jim's suggestion of getting the car in shape to drive a short trip like that with confidence. But with this year's OCF just a couple of weeks away, a U-Haul is a good way to have some peace of mind for this trip. Then you can take the time to find a trailer that's right for you and to get the car in shape for you to have confidence in driving it away from home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Hi Richard.... PM me, if you'd like.... I just finished a trailer, and used for vacation. I'll be driving my pick'em up. You are welcome to borrow the trailer, if you'd like.

Look for T hauker thread.

Crank'n Ts member

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I made my trailer lightweight due to constrainTs of my tow vehicle. You would have more flexibility with a real pick'em up. A double axle is safer.. tradeoff is weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I made my trailer lightweight due to constrainTs of my tow vehicle. You would have more flexibility with a real pick'em up. A double axle is safer.. tradeoff is weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Richard, welcome to the forum, from another 26 coupe owner.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Richard...

What bits are you most worried about breaking down? Maybe we can help take care of them??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 26 coupe. I use my 2014 ram 1500 and pull a open 18ft dove tail and a enclosed 20ft. I still drag race and use the trailer for that as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration