Frontenac S head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frontenac S head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Since I am retired for four weeks as a teacher (for business subjects), I can now start my project and I need your help urgently: I have a motor with Frontenac head and would like to install it in my Tudor.
Before, I want to overtake the engine and the head slightly.
My first questions:
1. How do you adjust the valve clearance? I only know the method with Wilson's Gauge.
2. Purchasing possibilities for spark plugs and seals for exhaust connection and carburetor. Or do I have to recreate these seals myself?
3. Supply of valve springs
4. What is the performance of this cylinder head?
Thanks
Anton
If you want to see my homepage: www.seelmann-classics.de
Frontenac S headFrontenac S headFrontenac S headFrontenac S headFrontenac S headFrontenac S head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

Anton, I have messaged you through the forum. -Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

What's the number ? to the right of the "S 1001 S ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Looks like they stamped 1110 first then tried to correct it to 1100, x'd it out and started over on a clean spot.

It's interesting to me that it appears they numbered the head before they lettered it. Maybe simply because it was easier to space them out, or maybe because the milling wasn't done yet to determine compression ratio???

Cool to see that "mistake". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Steve,
the number to the right is the same 1100.
I think they lettered it, because it was the wrong place.
Anton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Calimer on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Anton,

I owned the car that this motor came from up until early this hear. Did you buy the car or just the motor? It ran great. The car would do 55mph easily.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Thanks all.

I'm sure you will pleasantly surprised at the "get up & go" dropping this set-up into your Tudor. Although I own a BB RAJO, I've gotten to drive several Fronty powered rigs and they do like to GO !!!

Here's a Scat crank Fronty that I finished up a few months ago for a customer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Frontenac made three style of heads. The "T" was the touring, the "S" was the speedster, and the "R" was the racing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Adjusting valves - it looks like the pushrods are adjustable on yours. In that case, like any modern motor for each valve go to the heal of the cam and set the clearance. I go for .012 on my Fronty with a Stipe cam and expect hat should be fine for any cam/grind. Intake and exhaust gaskets will need to be made by you unless you happen on to something that fits. I just went to Napa years ago and got a couple thicknesses and styles of gasket material and make my own. You can grease up the surface of the manifold and press the gasket on it to get an impression to cut to or just hold the material on the block or manifold and tap the edges with a ball pein hammer hammer to cut the edges.

I would expect performance to be excellent as long as you have a good carb and you don't restrict the exhaust too much. I don't know of a current source for valve springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Bill,

I did buy the motor with the car: a Touring 1924. Look to my homepage www.seelmann-classics.de
Now I am on a short 3-day holiday. It is possible to ask you someting about the car and the fronty when I am return?

Greatings
Anton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Walt,

many, many thanks for your informations. I hope, I can ask you again about some technicals. Be shure, I dont ask you every week.

Greatings from bavarian
Anton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Hi Steve,

what kind is the cab in the pic?

Anton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Anton,

Looks like a good Frontenac. Your valves have been replaced (good) and have modern keepers instead of pins. I am a little worried about the springs as they look crushed...the top end is all original but keep it tight or the rocker arms will break as will the stands.

If you look at the location of the spark plug to the bottom of the head on yours and Steve's you can see the amount of milling yours has had to raise compression or flatten it out. It is OK but not much more or you might get into the water jacket on the casting.

Your center head bolt should actually be a bolt that is made of hex head that is about 2" high and drilled and tapped in the center to hold the cover on with another cap screw. The top was frequently tightened too tight and cracked the aluminum cover instead of a good cork gasket.

You are lucky to have the intake stub for a carburetor to move it away from the spark plugs, Steve has a down draft Winfield SR so that is not a problem.

Yes the single port Frontenac's are T / S/ and R as stated but there are other Frontenac's such as the SR dual intake and twin spark in rocker arm or overhead cam and the twin cam 16 valve.

If you get it set up to run you will be happy but it might break other things in a heavy car and wheel breaks will need attention. You can go fast but not stop fast.

Good looking engine and good luck!...I have all the Frontenac's listed above.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Calimer on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Anton,

I would be happy to provide any information I can about the car.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

SRB Winfield - I run the same on my RAJO - Zoom-Zoom !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Seelmann on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 03:53 am:

Hi Tim,
many thanks for your postetd informations.
Very interessting for me.
Sorry for my "bavarian-english".

Greatings
Anton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:27 am:

Anton has a real eye for a nice T and knows a bargain when he sees it! That Touring from Bill was a steal!Anton also has a very nice Rajo powered speedster which was built in Australia.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration