Difference between Kingston L2 and L4 Carburetors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Difference between Kingston L2 and L4 Carburetors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Is there a visual difference between the L2 and L4 carburetors? I know internally there is, but I have not seen any comparison photographs posted on line. I assume the earlier L2 was manufactured with a brass body casting. But I read that early L4 carburetors also had a brass body. My understanding is also that the L4 is preferable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Never mind ... found the picture essay on carburetors in the McCalley Model T Ford book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Mark
When I bought my 1915 Runabout it had a Holly NH on it. The original Kingston L2 came with the car. When I spoke to Stan Howe he explained the Kingston L2 was not a very good carburetor when new, he recommended a Holly G saying it was a very good carburetor, used for many years of model T production and would correct for my car.
Found the correct vintage Holly G carburetor, had Stan rebuild it for me, made a correct choke control rod, had it plated and it is very reliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Ron: Nice carb, where can one obtain that ball and socket throttle rod attachment? I assume that is unique to the carb and was provided by Stan? thanks, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

James;
It's a year thing not which carb is on the car. In other words, did not matter if Kingston or Holley they both had a ball and socket attachment. Check the encyclopedia it should tell which years used what.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Thanks, Mark:

I have not checked vendors, does anyone sell these? jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Try Bob's Antique Auto.
I bought a throttle rod like this from him about a year ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 04:04 am:

Yes, the early L-4 is brass...mine is and so is the float. The chief difference between the L-2 and the L-4 besides the reliability and performance is the damper nut on top is larger on an L-2 than on an L-4.

I love my L-4, never had a problem with it other than when I do something stupid...like strip the bowl nut threads...did that once, got a second body from Steve Boothroid in Canada.

And yes, the head is purple, lol. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Here is the correct end for your throttle rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:46 am:

I failed to mention, the swivel joint end goes on the end of your commutator rod at the end of the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

After doing some research on my own it appears Larry is correct. The swivel I have on the carburetor end of the throttle pull rod is wrong. I need one of the screw on bent rod shown above. Here are some images taken from a 1916 parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

L2 on left, L4 on right. L4 switched later to a cast iron body.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration