TT on trailer, consequences

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT on trailer, consequences
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

I plan on winching a Ruckstell TT by its front axle onto a trailer. There is about 750 pounds of 'stuff' on the TT bed.
What harm can happen to the TT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

You could bend the front axle. Try to attach to the frame instead of the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Front axle may pull out of socket, pull it by the crossmember. If you have ramps and wheels, it should go right up with a bit of elbow grease

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Many thanks for your tips...but..the TT is fully restored and can not easily access the cross member or frame.
Want to take it to a show but it will take me 4 hours at 15 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Shucks, Jay, it'll do 19 easy.

All serious aside, why not just stick 'er in Ruskstell low and drive onto the trailer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Suppose you could actually drive it onto the trailer- that's how most folks load trailers with their cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

This is where a bar across the front of any trailer comes in handy. You can drive right on with no risk of driving off the front over the drawbar. The bar also makes tying the car down much simpler, with far less stress on the loaded vehicle.

Otherwise, loop a strap around each perch and pull from the centre. That way there is is no stress on the middle of the axle. If you load with the trailer on a downslope, that will work with you as well, but you need the crossbar for this, or someone in the truck to man the brakes.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Pass the winch cable under the truck and pull on the rear axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

Also put the Ruckstell in high, it will be easier to pull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

If you've got that much weight on the bed, make sure you are loading it so that you have more weight towards your trailer tongue. Sounds like you might consider loading it rear end towards the tongue instead of the engine. It's only a Model T car front end.

In any event, when I winch my War Wagon onto and off the trailer (just don't like jarring the wooden spoke wheels going up and down the ramp) I get a short (6 ft) tow rope with two hooks on the ends and wrap it around where my leaf spring meets the crossmember, either on the front or the rear. Then I clip the two ends of the tope to each other and clip my winch cable to the rope. I can winch all the way onto the trailer and not have a wire cable or hook rubbing my paint.

I get the WW where I want it on the trailer and then stop the winch, chock the wheels and web strap it front and back. I leave the winch cable on as just a safety with a little slack in the line. Then, when it's time to unload, I'm all connected and ready to winch it off. Don't leave the winch cable tight on the truck, or jostling during the trip will mess up your winch gears.

Everything that can fall off the TT during transit, will. Coil box lids, keys, seat cushions, floorboards, etc. Ask me how I know.

We did drive the WW on the trailer one time when the winch battery died, but it was a rolling start and carrier hook type landing. Wo we winch it up and down when we can.

Good luck. enjoy your show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Many thanks for your valuable tips.
I once tried to drive in Ruckstell low onto the trailer. Being nervous and unfamiliar, I killed the engine and it wouldn't start again. The angle of the trailer ramp was such that it wouldn't allow gas to flow to the carb. Pushing/rolling the truck down the ramp wasn't too bad until the rear wheel touched down on the pavement. Nearly tore all my ligaments to get the truck on level ground.(In hindsight I should have pulled the trailer forward and let the truck slide off the ramp) Am no longer a youngster, so an electric winch was my solution.
After reading your posts, I plan to loop 2 heavy duty ratcheting straps from the front axle to the rear axle housing. Thinking this may transfer the pull load by connecting the axles. Then looping pull straps from each of the front axle perch area and winch pulling from the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I just read R. Brough's post. I'll try the "rear end first" suggestion also. Am learning. Many thanks to you T veterans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Beautiful truck Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

It's a "rolling load" so it probably will only see about 200# of actual weight, second there is no way you can bend the axle or pull the ball out of the socket Think about how everything goes together, you would have to mangle the front end to do any of the problems suggested. Hook your pull strap between the spindle and spring perch and it will come right on. I have never had a problem with any of my cars, 26 coupe and 24 Fordor.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Fantastic looking TT !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Here's how I pull my car with a winch. Best place to hook up IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:42 am:

I agree with Rick from Knoxville. If the wishbone ball and socket is so fragile that you are worried about pulling it apart, it's time for some service work. IMHO, a car that can last for 90 or 100 years ain't that fragile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Hi Jay, I have loaded a few TT's by driving them on and off, also using a hand operated come along with a sturdy strap around the front spring. And I also winch it off the trailer. Many different ways to load a T or TT be safe and manage your weight distribution. Nothing worse than a heavy load on the rear of a towed trailer. Jim in Colorado

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Jay,

G.R., above, has the right idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

I tow my TT on a trailer as well. 'Albert' is too slow to really cover long distances to meets, especially over the hills we have here.

GR has a good idea. N=Maybe put some padding between the chassis member and spring under the stop.

As to tying down on the trailer - I NEVER tie the TT by the front axle unless the strops pull both front and rear so no pressure is on the wishbone ball and socket.

Tightening a strop pulling forward only can - and often will- ruin your wishbone joint. Pull the ball right out of the socket if you tension too tight. As to the car being 'not fragile' well, I have not seen any Ford manual saying how the wishbone socket was designed to withstand strops pulling the axle forward.

Combined with the pressure from strops pulling rearwards from the back of the truck when you tie that end down as well and 'bounces' on the road, I just don't risk it. Strop from the chassis (like above) or strop so the front axle is pulled both forward and rearward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I do agree with Rick as to winching the truck on to the trailer - you would not pull the socket out doing just that. My post was referring to stropping down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

With a fixed bar across the front of the trailer, there is NO load on the wishbone ball. A pair of tie downs at the ends of the axle simply hold the tyres against the bar. Also, there is no need for excessive tension on the rear tie downs.All they need do is stop the load hopping about on the deck. The only real load is in a panic stop/prang.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks again for your comments. I am winching a TT with a load of about 750-800 pounds of antique hand and foot operated machines in its bed. My concerns are about the wishbone ball and socket connection, the motor mount connection, the cross member springing open and the twisting loads on the first leaf spring at the perches. Maybe I'm overly concerned but I spent a long time restoring the TT and didn't want to miss something that could undermine my efforts...maybe I am wearing a belt with suspenders on a tight waist pants ...lol lol lol At any rate all of your comments are greatly appreciated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration