Spring perch nut

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spring perch nut
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I picked up a 13-14 axle housing half recently and found a strange thing on the spring perch. The nut is far larger than those on the perches that came on my car. The center perch in the picture (red) is the one I'm wondering about.

Anybody else seen a large nut like this one ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

No, but whomever, re-threaded the perch shank to coarse threads to match the big nut ! Shade-tree for sure !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Do not know much about the application of perches versus nut size other than the perch should be a castle nut. I may be wrong! However, with that being said, a little hardware knowledge is relevant.

You go to the hardware store to pick up a 3/8 bolt with a 9/16 head, if it is a grade 2 bolt, the compatible nut will be an 11/16 and if it is a grade 8 bolt the compatible nut will be 9/16.

Therefore, looking at the picture the middle ones nut looks bigger and probably poor quality and does not belong their unless it is unique to 13-14 T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 12:28 am:

The problem here is obvious. The red one is a POS! And not only are the threads messed up, where are you going to put the cotter pin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I have one nut a little bigger than the other, doctor says its normal, not to worry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

From the color and size of the middle one, I suspect it has an infection.(orchitis) Possibly from tailgating a Ch**y too closely. Maybe that's how the threaded shaft got "altered" too....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration