Slight engine knock noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Slight engine knock noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Good Morning, I have had a slight rod knock under load for a couple of years.I dropped the lower pan tonight. Could not identify or verify which cylinder by moving push rod up and down by hand. However i could get play side to side on 1 and 4. Am i going to have to remove all caps to identify or is there another method. Thank You. I need to get through OCF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Try moving the piston also and look for witness marks on the cylinder wall. It may be a loose pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 01:41 am:

Rod knocks are typically less noticeable under load while a loose main bearing would knock more under load, so it may be the center main that needs tightening? Nothing wrong by checking all the rods too while you're in there. Rods and mains can be adjusted so you can't crank the engine with a piece of paper from a newspaper between the crank and the tightened cap, while it can be cranked without the paper.

Center mains have a tendency to wear both upwards and downwards while the front and rear mains mostly wears in the cap, so tightening may put the crank in a slight bend, causing metal fatigue faster than usual - but once is probably OK, next time it's best to pull the crank and check how the mains lines up with a metal ruler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 02:28 am:

Sounds like my problem, tightened up 1,2 & 3 but it's still there. Going to pull the motor.

Many years ago, being young & naive, I tightened the centre main too much and joined the 2 piece crank club. If the centre is that worn it's re-metalling time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Before you do anything drastic give this a try. I had a fairly loud rattle or knock in my engine that was driving me nuts. I tried everything with no results. Meanwhile, my generator was due new brushes and a general going over. When I re-installed it I put on a new mounting gasket. RATTLE GONE!!! Apparently the metal generator and cam gears had a tiny bit of slop causing the expensive sounding rattle. The new gasket being thicker than the old one meshed the gears in a fresh spot. No more slop, No more noise. Cheap, easy give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I do not think Jem's car has a generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks, I will take another look
before installing the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Peter,

If you've already gone a couple years with the noise, I don't see why you can't make it through a couple more days around the village? If you do quite a bit of driving around the village, like I've done, then it's only going to be around 30-35 miles tops! I believe it's about 1 and a 1/4 mile loop around.

Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration