What rear fenders for a 26-27 Depot Hack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What rear fenders for a 26-27 Depot Hack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Basile on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:12 am:

I'm building a 1927 Depot Hack body to fit on my rolling chassis that I bought but I'm missing the rear fenders. Does anyone know what rear fenders were used on a Depot Hack?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:12 am:

"Commercial" fenders were used. They are unique and were not used on any car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:53 am:

One option might be to use PU fenders and built you body to suit. The repo fenders that would have been used on 1925's and back would look out of place with the 26/27 fenders up front. Or you could redo 26/27 fenders to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I'm just finishing (having built) a hack on a '26 frame from a tudor. We used the rear fenders from a '26-'27 coupe.Dan Resch in Ocean Springs, MS built the body on the frame I took to him. I think he "extended" the splash apron panel above the running boards. His emai is: tdoctor@cableone.net He advertises in the national magazine. I'm very happy with the work he did.
Good luck
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:24 am:

You are sort of caught between the rock and the hard place...

Finding regular rear fenders for a 26/27 in usable shape is a difficult task...finding the commercial will be even closer to unobtainium! You have the same problem on a 26/27 as there is on a 9/25...the body side of the fender has a protruding "dish" to it that has to go away!

I redid a 27 for a local Ford dealer...something they sold new in 27 as a real "commercial chassis, and took in trade in '54 and pretty much lost all n their warehouse for 50 odd years because the founder had wanted to keep it as the dealership was founded at the same time the chassis was built. That "L" firewall drove me nuts until I found it was the real deal.

OK back to your problem. A set of regulars CAN be cut and welded...my 19 with the older style was made that way, but you have to find a set first that doesn't need 200 hours of work! By the way...real Mifflinberg body's came with Mifflinberg fenders.

Until you find a set...you may want to stop by the closest trailer shop to see what simple fenders could work for the time being, mounting flat skirted fenders to a Hack is the slam dunk part. Although some purist may howl...they also DO make 26/27 style out of fiberglass for the rodder types.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:45 am:

HEY JIM Just saw a pair of '26-'27 Coupe/Roadster fenders advertise in the "classified" on this website. I'm sure coupe & roadsters take the same fenders. Better hurry, they are hard to find. I don't know the person advertising these.
Frank

PS They are just listed as '26'-'27 fenders. But someone asked and he responded coupe or roadster.
good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Bear in mind my truck is ugly (see profile), but I believe it has Model A rear fenders modified to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Hey, Tim-that's not ugly!! It has personality. The 26-27 T coupe & roadster fenders certainly resemble A's. Actually, I guess all 26 &27 fenders are starting to look like A's.
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Basile on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

And here I thought I was going to buy a set and bolt them on (after reconditioning them). It sounds like there are very few people that would recognize the correct commercial fenders if they saw them. Thanks for all the advise, but I think I'm going to hold off until I have the body roughed in before I make a decision. Right now I'm leaning toward making/modifying something that mimics the contours of the front fenders, unless some unobtainium comes my way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

I think I would buy the best looking set of 26/27 rear fenders I could find for a reasonable price and modify them and or the body to fit.

I don't think there is a passenger style "commercial" fender. There is a rear truck fender but it matches the 1917 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Anyone got pictures of "comercial"fenders? I need some for my Huckster, it has modern trailer fenders mounted now but i have a set of repairable '17ish roadster fenders i want to adapt.
Thanks, Leo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Looks like Bubba modified the 26/27 rear fenders to fit. Had to narrow down the fenders, so the inside raised ridge has been cut off, so only the outside ridge remains, but it flows with the front fenders and running boards. Presume these are correct fenders for the metal body cars as they connect to the running boards with vertical lips rather than the horizontal lips and carriage bolts.

If you want photos of how the fender is bolted to the wooden body, I can do so, but have to wait for the rain in Atlanta to sop. Took thse in the garge, hope they give you an idea.

I think the vendors sell hack or tailer fenders as reproductions if you want to look into those. Don't know how they connect to running boards and splash shields.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

I bolted trailer fenders to the running boards on my home made wagon, propped them up with wood blocks, then built the body out to them. Here it is loaded down with people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Here's a couple more pictures of modified 26-27 rears. On the open express, the body appears to be made to accept stock runabout/coupe rears.

The depot hack seems to have modified inner edge to fit to the body.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration