OT - for Steve Jelf, poem in Latin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - for Steve Jelf, poem in Latin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:06 am:

O SIBILI SI ERGO
FORTIBUS ES IN ERO
NON NOBILI DEMIS TRUX
QUATUS INEM COUS EN DUX

maybe TTs ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

There Once Was A Nurse from Nantuckett...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

O' Sibley, see her go!
40 buses in a row
No, Nobley, dem is trucks!
Whats in 'em, cousin? Ducks?

Nuttin to it with these new translation apps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Waiting out the storm. I may be bored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I don't think the google translator works very well anymore. What came out made less sense to me than what went in. Although, that was partially due to the fact that a few Latin (?) words were left untranslated mixed in with the English translation. I have never seriously studied Latin, but have picked up a bit over the years. I could not even begin to pretend to be in any stretch fluent in Latin. But the google translator pretty much was no better than I could do myself. Sad. (Which according to google is the same for both Latin and English) (Could be?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Or this....

It's a very old joke played on younger Latin students by older students or by
teachers who thought that sort of thing would pique their interest. It's
usually written in metrical form:

O, Sybilli, si ergo!
Fortibus es in aero!
O, nobili, demis trux!
Vadis enim? Causet dux!

Oh, see, Billy! See her go!
40 buses in a row!
Oh no, Billy, them is trucks!
What is in 'em? Cows & ducks!

(was on the internet, so it must be true... :-) )

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration