Delco electric light for the 1914 Model T Ford-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Delco electric light for the 1914 Model T Ford-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Before they were owned by GM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:45 am:

That is a great photo. It may have been taken after the flood in Dayton which affected the Delco Factory. Here are some old photos from that:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmlhistory/5614246215

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Is that a generator mounted on the back of the car? That thing must weigh a ton! Not a good pitch for electric lights. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Technology of the day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:47 am:

To my knowledge the Delco electric light plants were designed for home use.
Surely someone on this Forum knows all about Delco light plants and can enlighten us all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Found this simple explanation.
Delco home lighting plants

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:08 am:

I always have thought a windmill ran a generator which charged banks of batteries which provided the power??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson, Sudbury MA on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Wow! Those pictures Richard put up. Much of Dayton was destroyed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:52 am:

32 volt power source with automatic starting to maintain batteries--local dairy farm had one close by. Specific Gravity had to be checked on regular basis if each glass cased battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Automatic starting??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Bud--single cylinder air-cooled engine which would start when load became too great on batteries. I have seen several at the OLD Threshers show held in MT Pleasant, IA on Labor Day week-end beginning on Thursday before. One of the best displays there is in country Quite a car collection there also besides 100 plus steam engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Thanks David,i have attended many shows but i have yet to see one! I wonder how the starting worked?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I have never seen a muffler like that on a Delco lighting plant. Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I wouldn't allow a gallon of gasoline in my house today. Neither would my insurance company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

If you already a gas engine, large banks of batteries, you might also have had a gasoline cook stove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

The Delco light plant I was told about was kept in a room in the barn with wires running to the house.
Cook stoves were fired with coal or wood when grand parents used them in early 1950's. They were also used to heat part of the home in winter. Many farm homes had a summer kitchen to keep heat out of the home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration