Connecting the brake rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Connecting the brake rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I just installed "new" relined rear brake shoes--pretty tight fit---drove the car a bit to get them loosened up. There is some "slop" in the linkage but I`ll live with that, for now. Any suggestions on brake lever position to hook them up? I`m thinking full forward hookup---then adjust clevis`s to start engagement ,in neutral.How did you do it? thanks, Paul
bumblebee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Paul, I do mine this way. Others may differ. You need no drag on the brakes when in neutral, so first set the handbrake lever for neutral. The return springs on the emergency brake shoes should hold the cams on the level. Then just adjust the rods to fit with these two components in their place.

This will mean there is slight engagement when the handbrake lever is let forward for high gear, but slack/wear in the system usually means no drag. Similarly, initial engagement of the lever for parking will duplicate this effect, proper engagement coming on the further the lever is pulled back.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Thanks, Allan----Tryed your method---perfect. Just completed about 100 miles at The All Ohio Model T Jamboree this weekend. Rear Brakes worked FINE! paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration