Hens Teeth gentlemen!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hens Teeth gentlemen!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Rare as hens teeth the saying goes. Not sure if I've found a hens tooth or not - you decide. All brass hood former off my 1910 Touring straight from the stripper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Bill, thanks for the look. I never would have guessed.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

I guess I thought it was a rarity but perhaps not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

It's not unusual to see small runs of stamped parts reproduced as castings because it is typically less expensive and requires less skill. I have a two-piece timer cover that's a casting, albeit a pretty worthless one due to clearance issues as a result of it being thicker than sheet brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

So did the "suppliers" back in the day cast these hood formers out of brass because it was cheaper than stamping out any other kind of metal? And does anyone else out there have a brass, or know of someone with a brass hood former?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Get a small piece analyzed. That would settle it. An early alloy would probably quite different as far as adulteration of modern-day ingredients.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

The 'Hood Support on dash" (hood former) is Factory # 1334, Part # 4060.

About the only proof would be assembly drawing or other document in the Archives to note the material. Would, IMO, be odd for Ford to make the later hood former with the flange and pockets of a casting. Castings take some time to mfg. and have rejects too from bad castings. So likely Ford made these of steel stampings.

Don't have any proof, but do know Ford used steel parts and then had brass plating added for gleam and style in the early Fords. A solid cast hood former would be heavy too, unlike Henry's striving for a 'light car'.

Casting a reproduction from an old straight steel original would seem the way to make these.

Today you can get decent stamped steel repops, they are pricy but nice, I had one on my '09 Faux Runabout.

From Bruce's CD Ency:

T-1334 4060 1909-18 1909-14 1909-14 Hood former. On firewall. Acc.575, 11/26/09. "Added flange on hood
ledge after 15,000 cars."
Acc.575, 6/25/10 "Removed pocket for steering gear flange and hood hinges."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Bill

Just to add to the thread.

Thought I remembered an older post on the hood former for the early Ford.

Here it is:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/720607.html?1486024151

If you scroll to Trent's post he researched the hood formers and found all were made of steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

About a Year ago we lost All our photos but someone else probably has photos of Don Hess 1909 I think it had a Brass Former-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

previous discussion on brass hood former. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/492557.html?1415601362

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Donn hess 1909 on cover of model t times April 2002

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:23 am:

The Model T that was given by Ford to president Lyndon B Johnson in the 60's was presented as a 1910, (since the president remembered his parents 1910,) but it was recently examined by forum participants to be made up from very early 1909 parts except the 1910 style fenders - and the hood former is aluminum.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/719031.html?1485897713

(Message edited by Roger K on August 31, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:43 am:

So it sounds like hood formers for the early cars were hard to find back when folks were restoring these cars; does anyone know of someone who was casting them in brass? And does anyone know of a car with another cast brass hood former?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:21 am:

From a post in the thread linked above:

By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:43 pm:
Just for giggles and grins,I will tell you that there are at least 100- 1909 hood formers that were repros.I know the guy who had them made and then he destroyed the patterns. Way back then they were almost impossible to find.

.... I'm assuming "patterns" implies castings. Were they stamped, the terminology would be different.

For what it's worth, early hood formers are still hard to find today, original and reproduction both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Would you polish up the brass and use it as is, or paint it the same as the body color?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

It's a known thing they were painted. It's a questionable thing as to whether any were brass plated steel or solid brass. Yours actually looks more bronze than brass. I would paint it and move on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Yes, there were reproductions of the 09/10 hoodformers cast in brass/bronze many years ago.
I think I have even seen aluminum reproductions. Casting this part would be a simple affair and easily done.
I would think this is one of the reproductions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration