Oil Can 1914

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil Can 1914
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Where does the oil can go on a 1914? I had it on the left under the hood. The original fire wall had no extra holes in it. I'll wait for an answer, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Hi Dean,

Although an oil can was supplied with each new car, an oil can holder was not. Any oil can holder was strictly an aftermarket offering.

So, with that said, I will put my tongue firmly in my cheek and say that Ford intended that the oil can be kept under the rear seat of the touring or in the turtle deck of the runabout. In both cars the oil can would tip over and the oil would then flow all over the tools and the side curtains creating an ungodly mess which then prompted the owner to purchase an oil can holder to be mounted wherever he or she chose.

Good Luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 01:18 am:

Thanks Bill, I guess it will go back where I had it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:15 am:

I usually see them mounted on the firewall above the carb and manifolds. In fact I don't recall seeing any on the other side, although some probably are there. I don't know why one side is so much more common than the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 02:47 am:

Steve: Less space on the LH side due to the steering column - and less reason to open the hood on that side, so it's more practical to have it on the side you already are used to open to fill oil and tinker with the timer and carb.. I only open the LH side hood when greasing the steering bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:58 am:

My '13 runabout has a factory tool box in back of the gas tank. It has a Fisher body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:03 am:

The correct early oil can pictures have been posted on this forum many times. I'll be happy to snap a photo of the two that I'm aware of. And btw, just because an oil can has a patent date of 1908 on it, doesn't mean it was made then!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Patent dates are useful "in reverse" that is, the oil can with the 1908 pat. date may be much newer, but it likely isn't older than that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration