Mercury Sports Roadster replica from Australia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mercury Sports Roadster replica from Australia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:05 am:

Hi all, I posted earlier in the year about my Mercury project that I had started, so it has been just over twelve months build time, so thought it was time to do a quick up date as I have a looming finish date in 9 days for a major event over here in Western Australia.
The project is a replica Mercury Body speedster on a 1920 Model T frame
I am using the original patent drawings and have hand beaten steel sheet to form the body work as close as possible to the way it was made. the drive train has been modified using period accessories including a Model A crank and rods and a Chev four head OHV. Thanks to members from this forum for there support and technical knowledge I hope to end up with a unique and fun car. see you on the road Graeme

Progress 5Progress

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:11 am:

You show a great talent, thanks for the pictures - we would love to see more from the build and of the finished car :-)

The Model A crank / Chevy head conversion is also interesting - what rods and pistons are you using?
Do you have a Jern Thunderbolt conversion for the head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:20 am:

Hi all just some more pics , the chassis is on all fours, lowered overall by moving front spring forward and using a rear crossmember and zeding the rear fram members and boxing them.
engine will be finished this weekend and hopefully in the frame and running next week.
Graeme
frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graeme Lockhart on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:29 am:

Thanks Rodger, The A crank has been shortened and I used A T model Trans shaft , pressed through and welded, Machined and Balanced. The bearing caps are modified A caps with the bolt holes milled and bronze thrusts fitted. The rods are new forged A Rods with slipper shells and I have had a set of Pistons Made by Ross's they are a work of art.
The adaptor is a Neal Jern plate I have made all the rest of the conversion gear. It will run a set of headers , Twin stomberg down draughts and a distributor.
The trans is a late 26 T with all new bushes, kevlar bands and a set of turbo 400 plates and a fourth main bearing.
I will put up some pics of the journey , I am kind of doing it a bit backwards I know as lots of members really tell a story , Hopefully I will spark some interest in this project and happy to show that with some very basic skills and tools anything is possible .
Graeme

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Good looking job, very interesting, keep it up. Dave in Bellingham,WA, USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Great looking job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Wonderful work. Looks really beautiful. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Has Jarvis seen these photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Good. Looking forward to more pictures.
That is a better place to mount the spare wheel.
I never thought the spare mounted on the tip of the rear looked good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:45 am:

How in the world isn't EVER going to work with the steering wheel way over there??? ;-)
Looks great! Is that leather edging around the cockpit... copper, or ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Amazing work Graeme! I recently learned the history of the Mercury bodied speedsters when I transported this one for a customer from Washington to Southern California. I have always been a fan of the more rare & odd! Good luck meeting your show deadline.
God Bless
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Here are a few photos from Lincoln Nebraska Speedway motors speedster reunion.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration