"Spare parts"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "Spare parts"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Have nearly completed installing the running boards, fenders, splash aprons on the '23 and still need to attach the windshield and dash, hood shelves. So, now I'm getting down to that box of "I'm not sure where these go" nuts and bolts. These are all the bits that I should have separated when I was dismantling the car last November but ended up tossing them into one box.

A recent post clued me into what a couple of small whacky bars of steel with a threaded hole on one end ..which turned out to be for mounting the dashboard. Other things are still a mystery and generally not easy to look up in a book or on the internet.

Here are two things I'd like to know. Where the front fender is connected to the frame there are the two holes for where the long carriage bolts go through hood shelf and wood blocks ... but the fender also has two holes that line up with holes in the frame. Do slotted matching screws, carriage bolts or common bolts go there?

And the splash aprons have two small holes on the back where they connect to two holed brackets on the rear fenders. What fastener goes there? I have two small flat steel braces about 3/4 x 2 1/2" with a hole on each end. Are these bracing backers for that area?

Oh ... what do the four body to firewall bolts look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:47 am:

This doesn't cover the body, but it should help with chassis fasteners. It's mostly correct.

application/pdf
Bolts_nuts_threaded_items.pdf (127.8 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:21 am:

I have found some of these this morning in the model T Service Manual. I have an original copy of this that I don't take into the garage and the illustrations are so much clearer than the reprints. Some of these only show the nut end however.

Did discover the rear fender to splash aprons did have machine screws and were backed with the flat steel pieces. I assume they had square nuts and lock washers in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

IF I have my head on square, you are spot on thinking about the splash guards/aprons to rear fender hardware. I didn't know about the flats tho.
I believe for your car (23?), 1/4 X 5/8?? slotted machine screws, (yes) lock washers and (yes) square nuts are quite correct. Raven finish if available.
Darn it, I X'd out of a thread weeks ago that dealt with that very subject, I think.
To be honest, I don't know if I'll be cheating/wrong when I use that hdwe on the 18 Runabout but it's what I'll use. :-)

I echo your question about the two holes between the front fender (inner flat panel?) and frame, under the hood shelves and separate from the shelf hardware...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration