What Hardware to Use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What Hardware to Use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I'm installing the fenders and splash aprons on the '23. Here are illustrations showing the nut end of these fasteners used to attach the splash apron and front fender to the frame. Also shown is a wiring harness clip held by the same hardware. Are they bolts or machine screws?

splash

fenders

fender hardware

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I used the bolts that the vendors sell for these applications. They are 1/4" bolts as I remember. Not machine thread.

I could have bought the same square nuts and bolts at Ace hardware. What the vendors sell are close enough for me. I'm not a 100% purist so they were close enough for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

I have a 1924 and they are 1/4-20 bolts with square nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Mark I just did this, the bolts holding the splash apron to the chassis are carriage bolts, there are 2 holes, the back one has a square hole in the chassis where the carriage bolt goes up through with a square nut on top. The other ones hold the hood shelves on through the wood blocks down to the bottom of the chassis, they are also carriage bolts.these are long bolts about 2 1/2 to 3 in. The wire clips go under the shelves on but not on the bolts holding the shelves. They are all 1/4 20 bolts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:16 am:

If you like things correct, the 1/4-20 square nuts are 1/2" across the flats. Randall Anderson is making those, just like the originals. The two bolts for the hood shelves are special, and have a much smaller head than the hardware store versions. And by the way the radiator apron is up front under the radiator. The splash shields are what you are referring to as splash aprons!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Ha ... interesting about the nomenclature. Most of the suppliers and T owners call those splash aprons. Now I know
better. I never had them on my old speedster .. thought it looked sportier without them.

What's your take on the location of the wire clips. Should they be under or on top of the hood shelves? (If that's what they're called) By the way Larry the battery box looks great .. not that anyone but me will ever see it. I do wonder why Ford didn't move that battery box supporting bracket towards the back of the car more on a runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Hi Mark,

The battery bracket location is a "one size fits most". It is "the right spot" for the touring car and the sedans and somewhat less than convenient on the runabouts and coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

The clips go under the hood shelves, and the wood blocks that are with them. They are the two piece ones like is used for the gas line. Look you your Ford Service Book, and it shows everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Yup ... those illustrations are posted above in my original post. Just wasn't sure it that was done in all years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration