Current thoughts on Wards Riverside tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Current thoughts on Wards Riverside tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Have read a few posts from several years ago. Any new thoughts on the quality of the current production Wards Riverside 30 x 3 1/2 clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I have a few, so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I have new ones. They say Wards Riverside on them but they also say Made In Viet Nam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I like mine. I had the old ones which last a long time. Then I had the new ones. They lasted three years which is good enough. They are now worn out and cracking too. I'd rather have Firestones which are more correct but they cost so much more I will probably buy Wards Riversides again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

All the current clincher tires being made in the same Vietnamese factory, when you buy any other than Riversides you're paying extra for the name and the appearance, not for better quality. The old Riversides actually sold by Wards were great. They wore like iron. The current ones are no better and no worse than the other clinchers being made now.Their advantage is the lower price.

I'm currently running NOS New Zealand Firestones on my runabout. Those are a mixed bag. Some are very good and some are definitely not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

My dad once told me that Wards Riverside 30" clincher tires were originally manufactured by United States Rubber Co. (aka Uniroyal). He has been in the antique car hobby since 1948.

Don't know if this true and I have never researched it.

Tires purchased by my dad when he first started out:

- 1930s or earlier Wards Riverside "blem" or "second" - slight defect in the bead so the Wards Riverside name was ground off - oversize

- 1950 Wards Riverside -oversize - purchased new by my father

- 1920s Trailblazer Cord - true 30 inch

- 1920s/1930s Goodyear - true 30 inch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

I have Lucas Wards Riverside style on our 13 touring for over 3 yrs. and am very happy so far. No cracking that I can see yet.

Also have a very old set of Wards Riverside on my 29 Model A roadster P/U and No cracking. They are over 20 yrs. old.....hard to believe. The tires seem like new....the car does not have many miles since a complete restoration 17 yrs. ago. The tires were old then (Still Had Original Wrapping) before being mounted then.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration