What have you done to your T in September?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What have you done to your T in September?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:05 am:

we might as well get it started.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:27 am:

First day of spring for us so I spent the afternoon giving a full service to the T I like to drive the most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:43 am:

I will spend the month of Sept. among other things, getting my recently acquired 1912 reassembled and back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Well ... the last weeks of August I got the chassis up and running after nine months of working only on the weekends and evenings. By this morning I actually have a car with the body,fenders, splash shields, running boards and headlights. I'll install the windshield this weekend along with the dashboard. I'll remove the earlier coil box with switch and install all the wiring for the switches and lights. Feels good to drive in a T again. The work I did on the body was minimal, just enough to keep it from rusting.

medshow

tail light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Mark - The car looks great! Difficult to make a recent restoration look "old" but you've done it!

I'm thinking that the photo you posted showing the
"interesting" tail light/license plate light could cause an interesting "discussion" here on the forum! On one hand, it looks like it could/should be turned 90 degrees from how you have it mounted, but then it would not be a "tail light", right? (:^) .....harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Mark, I have that exact plate holder on my 23 but with an electric light. It came with the car and it looked original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Harold, you may have missed it, there already has been a "discussion" of the Ford-O taillight. The bracket is Ford-O specific, and is also a "non starter" specific item. The Ford-O light and bracket are to be used with Kerosene sidelights.

have fun and be safe .....

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/781644.html?1503761943

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

It's 100 right now so why not take the car out for a drive, kept the speed around 30mph. After a quick trip of seven miles out and back no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Began the respokeing process. Had several cracked, loose and 2 broken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Installed window channel and safety glass in the coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Donnie Brown - Yup! I missed it! Thanks,....I guess that "discussion" was partly about what I was talking about above,....that it looks like the lamp should be turned 90 degrees due to smaller red lense. Still looks wrong to me, but then I guess some other folks thought so too! Thanks again Donnie,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

James... just courious... are you replacing just broken and loose ones, or all?

I have a few loose spokes on one wheel, and plan on shinning them, and maybe building a wheel jig this winter... or seeing if someone in the club has a borrow- or rentabke one and rebuilding it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

My wife says that she is enjoying cleaning all the magneto coils. Guess I get to start on the carb this weekend.

Tarn-x vs Magneto Coils
Tarn-x vs Magneto Coils

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:37 am:

While reassembling the runabout, I fixed the headlight that wouldn't stay put.

The threads were too worn to hold the nut.

So I added some steel...

...ground it approximately round...

...and rethreaded.

It's not the prettiest piece of work ever, but it holds the nut good and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Steve, Thanks for the tutorial on how you fixed the problem. Always enjoy your detailed, illustrated descriptions of the work you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:26 am:

Bill, is yours the Doctor's Coupe that so many seek? Hubba hubba!
I'm KIDDING of course!
Goll. Yous guys are busy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Spoke replacement. Dennis I took the bite and bought enough to replace them all. These are the rear wheels, but in the front I plan on using the best from the rear as replacements for a few loose and broken there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Two days into the month with our kitchen all torn apart? Nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Well Duey-c, I am a physician and the coupe is mine. Other than that, I'm not opening that "can of worms"😂Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Looking good William. It looks better with the Safety Glass. ;o)
Don't run the magneto down with those lights on.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

James G., Where did you get the spokes, and are they Shag Bark Hickory? Thank you, Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Today I installed the cover over the gas tank. I had to trim the hinges I made last Winter as they were too long. I also had to shave the cover's rear cross piece as it hit the kick panel below it.
Always some surprises.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Rich, The lights were on during the eclipse. Obviously they weren't needed in my area. Thanks for the observation.I It's been a fun project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Finished three Model T parts today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Oops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

'26 coupe.
Finished installing replacement wiring and now have to get it running before selling. Too many projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Spoke replacing. David I'm not sure what kind of hickory they are but I got them from Langs. I've been stripping off 94 years of paint from the hub and other metal parts for the past few days. Slow going with air tool wire brushes. So far they have been black, then silver, then yellow, then green then several versions of red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Nothing T related yet! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Got the 26 Sedan out to drive to work yesterday, made it half way before joining the two piece crank club.☹️

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Found a nice set of kerosene lights for front of wood cab rebuild at swap meet. Finished painting a bunch of hardware for cab. Made some more metal braces for cab. Pulled the pan cover on roadster pickup an adjusted connecting rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:44 am:

Working on bringing a Jumbo Planator back to life. Very short on information. Anyone have experience building one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Sorry to hear that Dale, after reading about Tim's adventure and now yours. I sure hope I don't join that club ! if I do, mine well be down quite a while as I try to fix it. So far though all is good, I did 50 miles in my TT. Seems to be running better and better - knock on wood :-) so far I am pretty pleased with it. If it does as good as my Runabout, I well be one happy camper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

I've been driving mine despite the 108 degrees we've been having. But now the alternator went out and the shop , after four attempts, can't seem to repair it so I am waiting for my replacement. Fortunately I have me A to drive for now but I really like driving my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

I took time out today from other chores and reinstalled the left front fender on the 1923 touring. It had been off to have a broken bracket welded. I also wire brushed and painted some castle nuts. It's always good to have some on hand ready to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Bought TT with a rebiult motor so fare redone the valves ground and adjust as the heads 15 to 25 thou above the block at lowest point replaced the timing gear put full set of gasket in (only gaskets block to pan).
Got is started tommerow finish putting it back together and its only the 3rd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:56 am:

I started remaking my license plate holder and rear fender irons on my '25 cut off pickup yesterday. I messed up both of these when I initially made them and saw a better way to redo these pieces. Hopefully today I can get back to work on them after I do some other chores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Decided to go outlaw on my firewall!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Chris, are they in the right "firing" order? They look dangerously backward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

A little bit subtle. It is seldom we see humor of this caliber. 0;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

Hopefully I don't shoot myself in the foot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Its already primed, should fire right up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

I believe the way they are installed it will back fire! With that said you are primed for a real blast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

I've been fighting a sediment bowl drip, drip, drip. At five turns in, the outlet was lined up with the fuel line to the carburetor, but it wasn't screwed in tight. Trying to turn it in tighter it was about a quarter turn short of lining up. So I ran a " npt tap in the hole a little bit, so when turned in tight the outlet ended up pointed in the right direction.

While I was at it I refined my fuel shut-off. There are two standard shut offs at the carburetor, and I don't like either one. A ball valve, like plastic insulators and Phillips screws, just looks wrong on a Model T. And the brass valves sold by the parts dealers are usually so tight you need a wrench to turn them.

So I decided to make my version of the shutoff I saw on a TT. It uses the valve on the sediment bulb instead of one at the carburetor. The handle is under the driver's side running board, easy to reach but out of sight.

When the handle is down the valve is closed.

Turning the handle up opens the valve. Note that it's mounted on a piece of angle iron held by the running board bolts. No extra holes are drilled in the car for this arrangement.

A screen door spring hooked to the frame puts some tension on the shaft to keep it from turning on its own.

The business end of the thing clamps on the sediment bulb valve handle and swivels to accommodate the varying angle as it turns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

I like that big time Chris!
Had to do some switch repair today when the 24 Crappy T died on the way to retrieve the refuse receptacle.
Ya, he doubles as the garbage can puller. When I climbed the hill to grab some tools and the multimeter, you'd of thunk I'd grab a screwdriver.
Nope, back up the hill.
Several years ago, I pulled the Clum #10421 ignition/lighting switch that needs an #83 key out of the Crappy T along with the home-made tin switch mount plate and put in a correct #53 switch, proper plate and re-worked repro small amp gauge.
When I fixed this switch before install, I used super glue to hold the pins in and back plate together and to this day it is as warped as the day I put it in. Solid as heck still and this guy sits outdoors.
Found out later that super glue could well be used for this repair... :-)
Key had been real easy to turn yet very reliable until this afternoon.
Pulled just a little on the contacts and presto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

A whole passle of stuff, getting readt for the OCF....
Last was trying my hand with kitless upholstery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Was interesting to see the tag on the inside of the seat. It had been re-apolstered by another way long time ago (hence the red buttons)... but wonder if the tag was from the factory?

Don't worry... I'm going to do what another on the forum is doing... finding some black fingernail polish that the Goths use. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Bah, just tell anyone it's for Red Buttons and see who remembers! :-) Never got a dinner.
Looks good Dennis!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Ah, memories. I went to a Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters' luncheon in 1976 and Red did that routine. Very funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Red Buttons.. wow... haven't seen one of his skits in eons!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:18 am:

I loved Red Buttons! Thanks for reminding me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I decided to disassemble the standard Ford rear axle that came out of Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring (I broke an axle shaft on the standard rear end a few months ago). Betsy is now running a Ruckstell that I bought and built up a few years ago.

It has bronze thrust washers. The locating pins in the housings for the steel washers are all present and look good.

There was minimal side play of the axles in the housing, and the two fiber spacer washers look good. I have a new bronze spacer washer that I may install anyway.

The axle side gears and spider gears look good. The spider shafts fit snugly in the pockets of the housing halves.

The inner Hyatt bearings and sleeves look good (I plan to replace the outer sleeves and install my best original Ford used Hyatts in the outers).

The ring gear teeth are pitted and have a raised lip at the heel. I have a new ring gear to install.

The ring gear bolts were wired in pairs with dead soft iron wire wrapped only halfway around the bolt heads (not twisted) - that said, none of them were loose.

The axles had accessory Woodworth "springs" on them, purportedly to help direct oil from the axle tubes back into the center section. I plan to leave them off for the rebuild.

The inner seals were the older leather ones with the spring steel "fingers" on one side and a spring steel plain washer on the other side. The one axle broke exactly at the inner seal location. I plan to replace the leather seals with the modern neoprene seals.

I'm going to throw away both old axle shafts and install new ones from Chaffin's.

I was hoping not to have to tear into the driveshaft, but based on the condition of the ring gear I'll probably have to replace the pinion and go through the whole driveshaft as well. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

When I return from the OCF, I hope to get three guys over here to help me lower my '13 roadster body on to the chassis. It's been just over a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:04 am:

We purchased a '20 TT, wood cab, dump, grain bed truck some time ago. I drove to IL., picked it up, and brought it home, over the Labor Day weekend.

My wife and I cleaned out the bed, removed the upper side boards, front bed boards, and tail gate. We also removed the driver's door which still has original glass in it. The sills had failed allowing the cab to sag. We removed the sills, sill supports, and broken frame mount brackets. Photographed everything for future rebuild/restoration.

The entire wood package is nearly sawdust. It is so dried out and rotten. On top of that, we found carpenter ants calling the bed home. Diatomaceous earth and disassembly of the bed may be the answer. I'll check all the bed floor boards we removed to see if there are any ants, alive or dead. Luckily, not a big colony. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy; diatomaceous earth spread everywhere. Looks like it snowed in September.

I believe this may be a Martin Parry cab. In reading other threads here, the description fits. I will have to do more research to be sure one way or the other. I sure do like the build and looks of the cab. The truck has a cable bed dump mechanism. I have never seen one. Looking forward to restoring that to working order.

Good Luck to you All,
Terry Miller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Terry, you didn't take enough pictures. How do I know this? There's always something you miss. Always. VOE. :-)

Mark, don't throw away the old axle shafts. Use them for circus tent pegs. Seriously, they do sometimes come in handy for other projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Found a emergency brake assembly for my very new to me 26 coupe. No other progress on the T s. Spent all weekend on a local model A tour.Big fun..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Here are some pics from Betsy's standard rear axle teardown. I plan to chop the old axles short to make pressing off the side gears easier. Steve, if you want the pieces of the old shafts, you're welcome to them, I can bring them with me to Hershey if you want. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Old axles are nice for rolling heavy machines across the shop.

Mark, before you get the new axles stabbed in place, be sure and check the width of the keyseats / fit of the keys. Recently discussed here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/780178.html?1502761591

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Thanks for the tip, Walter! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Walter - With the gear left on, old axles also make great tent stakes for circus tents too! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Well, I don't remember who mentioned it, but whoever said that a 12 ton press wouldn't be enough to get the side gears off of the axle shafts was half right!

I managed to press the gear off of one shaft, but the other one won't budge, even with (minor from a propane torch) heat applied while under full press.

I released the pressure and have it soaking in penetrating oil, then I will try one more time before taking it to a machine shop with a bigger press. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Legal!

After two years, got the 1920 Model T Roadster registered.
Process was smooth (got a bit hung up on a VIN etching I had to provide).
All in all, a 20 minute process.

Tip to be learned - There's the scary stuff that appears on the Pennsylvania DOT website, then there is the real world where things get done. Since Pennsylvania is a state that allows private vendors to handle DMV matters, these ladies made it a lot easier than what I was anticipating.

Ready to roll Saturday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Took it to the ocean and had a blast with my friends!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Mark Strange, just an idea . If you can give it an impact blow while under pressure that might just be enough to break it loose. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Thanks, Joseph. It's at a local machine shop now, they have a 50 ton press. Expecting a call to pick it up today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Replaced the choke spring in the NH
Andy had his original plate glass in the windshield frames so I went to a local glass shop today and got new glass

at first he said he didn't have any of the clear laminated glass and probably wouldn't get any more until after IRMA passed I was going to leave the old glass with him and just have him cut the glass when it came in.When he saw how small the glass was he still didn't have any clear laminate but said I could look through his scrap and see if I could come up with some that could be cut. I found 2 pieces and he again wanted me to know that in a 25 it should be clear I told him I wasn't going for a stynoski (sp) award so Andy has green safety glass now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

I drove it from it's temporary old home in Vancouver WA to it's new home in OR. About an hour and a half drive and enjoyed every minute of it. So did Lizzy. It had been a long rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Made a thing to suspend parts needing primer and paint, then applied primer and paint to said parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Last minute visor replacement.

See you at OCF tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Adjusted the connecting rod bearings. Tried Plastigauge first and then tried the news paper method. News paper is the only way to go!

my picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

shock1
shock2
shock3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Took my T to the local labor day parade. Lots of fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Took my T to the local labor day parade. Lots of fun!!

Still having trouble posting larger sized photos. Very frustrating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Gerald
What is the newspaper method on rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

I read a few post like this one.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/113999.html?1258456405

Cut strips of news paper and placed on the bearing then tighten up. If it cranks it is to loose if you can not crank it it is just right.

Worked well for me. There are other post with the same method. Just remove a little off the shim and retest.

quote:

"Use a wide flat file placed on the bench and then move the cap over that. To check clearance simply place a piece of newspaper between cap and crankshaft journal. Tighten it up. If you can turn the crank it's too loose & you need to file more.
Soon as you've tightened the bearing to where the crank can't be turned with the newspaper in there it's about right. It should then turn freely with the newspaper removed.
It is possible after some experience to just set the clearance by feel. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 06:05 am:

Arrived at OCF! Driving the streets of greenfield village.went to mixer and parked by my buddy's 25 Dodge. Oh what fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Well I have one wheel re wooded. Took me 4 days of assembling and disassembling, lots of sanding to get it done. Ugh, now I see why people pay to have someone else do this. Getting the wobble out was the hardest part. Still has about 1/8th of an inch but the demountable rims can hide that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Testing the limits of endurance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

the last time I went to a car show I overheard a judge say that model T's didn't have any bling,so since Andy had most of the paint missing from his timer I decided to polish it rather than repaint, did I go too far?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Chased T's on tour this morning and took lots o pics this afternoon .
Pics on thread "Hillbilly Tour Day 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

John That looks suspiciously like my profile pic! If you get them to move let me know:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:01 am:

GR Cheshire,

I had to go look and I agree! Ever sell your Airstream?

I sold a boat (Boston Whaler) some years ago to make parking room for another Model T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Terry on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Broke two piece valve in # 3 cylinder. Went through piston. Now rebuilding motor :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

John Yes we sold it about 3 years ago. Hated to see it go but I needed some room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Have gotten this far on the old girl. Body frame pieces are ash, flooring is white oak. The girl was a complete basket case when I started. By using the forum, both club magazines and Ford manuals, I'm just starting on the electrical, getting ready to run continuity on the generator armature.Teaser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Had to take my new Chaffin rear axle shafts to the machine shop so that they could finish pressing on the side gears with their 30 ton press. My wimpy 12 ton only got them about 80% on before it ran out of oomph. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Got Frederick cleaned up some and took a short drive; polishing brass is next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

I finished making my new set of fender irons for my cut off touring pickup. I had to do this because it was pointed out to me that I had mounted the rear fender to low. I am just about now able to line most of the fender back up with the splash pan now that it is closer to where it is supposed to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Got it Insured...Woohoo!

None of you know how great a thing that is to me. My car has NEVER been insured...EVER. And I've had this car since 1978. Registered YES, but insured NO...whee!

Next month, she gets her registration reinstated and then she's free and clear to navigate the streets around here and elsewhere once more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Very cool.. Hope it does good on its first ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I did rebuild the carb on my 26 roadster pickup. Starts easy runs great. Getting ready to change the fenders before it gets cold out. It's no beauty queen but the have been

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

But they have been repaired and need some paint and bolted on. Hope to paint them in the next couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:17 am:

Fixed a sediment bulb leak and...

...got a surprise car wash on the way home from town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Left before daybreak . After breakfast, I drove to mill and picked up 300 lbs of horse feed. Had a nice early morning drive. Stopped for another photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Disassembled starter with wife.
disassemble starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

Finished the rebuild of Betsy's original Ford rear axle assembly (the one that snapped an axle shaft a few months ago). It's now in storage in the basement as a ready spare. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Disassembled carburetor (Kingston L4) and found it not rebuildable. Tabs that hold float pin disintegrated.
Kingston L4 trash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

When Andy came to me he only had 1 bolt holding his coil box in place, so I made some more.
The one in the middle is the original the one on the right is how they look when they come from homer's place (head is too wide to allow bolt to enter hole on side of coil box. The one on the left is one of the 4 I modified to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:00 am:

My roadster's mechanical horn is sidelined by missing parts, so I'm getting a mag horn ready to use as a replacement until it's fixed.

I aim to do some overnight trips, so today I figured out how to stow a tent, sleeping bag, and foam mat on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Hey Steve, i see you have the Runabout back on the road, how's she running after the Trans repair?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

......not only "running", but the tires are still white!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Yep, running OK. So far the transmission works the way it should. A cold start still takes a lot of cranking. I cleaned the plugs and checked the gap, but that wasn't it. I may try a carburetor switch and see if that makes any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Brett on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

I changed the packing nut exhaust manifold and exhaust system and now the intake leaks.... I am too excited I guess..............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I drove mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Went on a picnic with Wilma.picnic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Replaced a leaking head gasket. The head was warped and required fifteen thousands to be removed. That was all straightforward.

While the coolant was out, I decided to remove the radiator to flush it and to properly mount it. Some previous owner had it wrong: a spring on top of the upper thimble and not within the frame rail. This had bugged me since I acquired the car.
Well, it was all wrong because someone, likely the fellow who built this car from floor sweepings and debris found on the fence line, used odd ball bolts and nuts to fasten the fender irons to the frame. The heads were on the outside and the too long bolts with their 5/8 SQUARE nuts left no room for the springs and the nut plates. Grrr.

Also discovered that the front crossmember has been replaced and held with bolts. Boo-hiss. Well, that will be a job for another time.

With the radiator off it was convenient to clean the timer and confirm the timing.

Replaced the hand crank bushing in the crankcase snout. Correctly installed the out of position hand crank spring.

The radiator apron was an Improved Car style. It was in bad shape, didn't fit well at all and, because it was so mangled it made hand cranking just about impossible. I had been fortunate to come across a correct apron in rather good condition, so that went on.

Discovered that the Brassworks high radiator is lacking the small brackets to which the radiator shell is secured. Dang.

Before the radiator went back on I spent a few minutes with a rag wiping the front of the engine and policing the area.

The routine head gasket replacement grew because of "mission creep" and then fell down a rabbit hole. The car is back together and runs well. It now is a joy to hand crank. The radiator mounts no longer scream at me when I walk by. Yes, I will be retorquing the head after heating and cooling cycles.

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Well, it won't paint itself ! After cleaning out and sealing the cowl tank, time to get the outside painting prepped. Hand sanded very thing ,extra work on the areas that are seen. Priming tomorrow then paint the following day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I got my second spring-loaded ball socket for the drag link from Lang's today. Will install it this week. I'm hopeing that the slop from the T's steering will be gone when I replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Today I assembled the rear end and driveshaft assembly for a 1924 C-Cab TT. The purpose was for a fit up of the drive shaft for use with a Warford. When I get the engine and the Warford installed on the frame I will still need to locate the universal joint pin location on the shortened drive shaft. The torque tube has an original slide-on fitting for fit up which has a limited amount of length adjustment, but the drive shaft was left un-drilled. Sooo, when assembled, the drive shaft will be marked as to the needed location of the universal joint pin location and then totally dissembled to drill the necessary hole. I know everything is close, but the extra effort will be worth it.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Looking good Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I installed the body on my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

They look nice in progress Larry.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 05:26 am:

Haven't done much of anything to the '25 "beater" coupe other than some maintenance in the last couple of years other than driving it on some short drives around town, due to a lot of family and personal health issues. I have been able to collect a lot of parts that it needs though in the last few years, thanks to this forum and some very good friends. We have a prefab garage coming soon so that we can start working on it soon. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Got me a co-pilot/navigator for Halloween night...course he's probably useless for any of that, but he can sit in the car nicely and look like he's out for a wild ride.

I'm jealous, the skelly stands 5 ft tall and as you can see fits perfectly in the car with plenty of leg room t'boot

...even if he had 4 inches of padding all round him he's still fit in there better than I do...did I mention I'm jealous? Now if he could only drive, I could sit in the back (where I do fit). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:35 am:

I started to install the interior in my coupeInterior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 07:39 am:

Martin V.
Is that the original owner? Is his name T- bones? Pretty cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Martin, I thought that was you waiting on parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Primed the tank and will paint this afternoon after 24hr primer cure. Used Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

Martynn Vowell, looks good
Larry Smith,outstanding

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Painted tank as promised, been real humid here so I'll let it dry for a couple of days and give it another lite coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Blew the sediment bowl out on the '14 yesterday so I made it take me to the barber shop this morning. I flush the sediment bowl out the drain valve about every 8-900 miles to clear the brass screen of small deposits it catches. The 4-ball K usually lets me know if I wait too many miles. I left in the dark so I lit it up.

I can't seem to take good photos as most folks and end up with spots for a picture. Twilight by the time I got back. Birdbath under the car is a neighbor's sprinkler system.

Retired now and try to make most of the errands in the T's or V8.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Built my tool access door the my 1910 T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Two things.

With a battery charger, a mag horn, and a speedometer light in addition to the headlights and the wire from the mag post, my runabout had too many wires attached to the mag terminal on the coil box. They just didn't want to stay put. So I added another terminal on the firewall. The coil box terminal has the mag post wire, the headlights, and a third wire going to the spare terminal, which has the battery charger and speedometer light and horn.

My other main project was straightening an exhaust manifold to use on my touring car. Having done it successfully this time, I updated the web page about it. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG82.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

I got a camera this afternoon, so here's the firewall with the extra terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Steve--

Been visiting this site since 1999 with not many postings except recently and you do yourself justice for, if I get it right, "a retired lazy bum". You come up with, as Steve McQueen says in the Great Escape, "good stuff".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Oops! My bad! Steve McQueen did not say that it was said to him. "Good Stuff Hilts". Anyway, "Good Stuff Steve".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Today I finished a sheet metal brake to make seams for some top iron sleeves. For years I have simply clamped sheet metal between two pieces of steel or wood and hammered them over 90 degrees or whatever. The hammering is too severe for the short lip required here. I screwed and pinned the ends rather that welding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Drove it some more......had a great drive and picnic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Of course I spent time greasing and oiling and checking tire pressure, etc. Made for a trouble free trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Sanded,dusted,wiped down interior of cowl, shot some paint for rust abatement, mounted firewall pads. Sanded repainted tank straps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration