Spark advance setting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spark advance setting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:51 am:

In what position should my spark advance be for normal cruising? All the way up? A few notches downward ? I have no idea. This is a coil/dist conversion. Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:01 am:

The expression "balls out", just kidding! Whatever the car is comfortable running at under different, climbing, road conditions, road conditions, etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Jeffrey I see you are new to this forum, I think this is what you want. Normal cruising on flat modern roads your spark advance should be at least 2/3 down or you will get hot.
BTW if you are driving a later car the number of notches isn't a 1 for 1 more notches on later cars the position is more important!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:11 am:

G.R. Jeffrey had a great question, and I'm glad he ask it. Helps me out also. Great pics! Thanks Gary N!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:44 am:

That chart is how I used to drive ... but I am using a TW Timer right now and it is very different. Does not have the latitude of the other timers. It likes to be at about 9:00 most of the time and only subtle movements are used. I was used to pulling both levers down when I went flat out and retarding the spark when going up hills until the car accelerated ... then advancing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Mark, I've noticed the same thing with my TW timer. Seems some just shove it all the way down and go. That's really not a good idea no matter what timer. I was taught you pull it down just to the point where you hear the engine smooth out and pretty much leave it be. I do retard it somewhat on steep hills, but frankly I really only notice a big difference doing that on the one car that I have that has Tru-Fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

I have a '26 Touring Car with a period Bosch distributor replacing the coils. I start with it all the way up, full retard, run with it all the way down, full advance, idle at about a third down. I've arrived at these settings after lots of experimenting to see what she seems to like best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Running on battery or distributor, it will give infinitely variable, yet very subtle differences. On mag, the way it was intended to run:-), you get your pick of about 4 positions, two of which ought to be pretty obvious the performance sucks in. The other two......whichever gives the best performance. Highway speed, the last one, usually. The third one for shifting and going up hills.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration