Classic Vs Antique plates in Texas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Classic Vs Antique plates in Texas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:22 am:

I just found out that the T would not pass inspection until a break light is installed.
Antique plates do not require an inspection.

Have you been pulled over because of running antique plates?

I am thinking of converting to antique plates mainly for the cost. The break light is on the list of todo's.

I'm just would like to know if I am about to cause bigger problems for myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Never Been pulled over in Florida. Each State is different but generally If you have antique plates on your car there are restrictions as to when you can drive it. To and from events shows etc. that said I drive mine about once a month or so to work and they have never bothered me about it, but if you drive past the same constable every morning @ 06:30 he or she may become overly curious!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:34 am:

In theory you are allowed to drive an antique care occasionally ... not regular transportation. You may not drive them from dusk to dawn. Last year I drove my T to work here in Rochester nearly every day in the spring, summer and fall. The police know who I am and they have bigger fish to fry in a city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Along with antique plates come certain usage restrictions. That's the difference. Antique cars are exempt from safety inspections so their use is not expected to match that of a daily driver. If you get caught joy riding, you could face several violations (tickets) from any LEO. An illegal registration could make the vehicle subject to impoundment. That's the worst case. Most locals probably don't care. The biggest threat is from state troupers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Steve,
Why were you trying to inspect your car?? In Texas it does not need an inspection. Also I have had no hassles with my antique plates. (and only 50 bucks for 5yrs.) All I have heard is that antique plates are for cars going to and from parades and car shows. But any time I take my T out...it is a car being shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Also take a look here...

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Classic plates require an inspection. The Antique plates do not require an inspection.
Classic plate are $72.50 a year. The Antique is $50 for 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Antique plates are supposedly only for going to and from parades, car shows, AND to and from getting it repaired.
I've been stopped a couple of times and always told the officers I just fixed something on it and am taking for a test drive, or I am driving it to figure out exactly what is wrong with it so I can repair it.

I can't think of any time I've ever driven any old car when either scenario wasn't true!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Steve, If you've got a kerosene tail light era T, I can't speak to that other than to say that in the seventies and eighties when I had two, I was able to get them inspected and registered with regular Texas plates. Obviously the inspection rules have gotten more restrictive since then.
If you've got an post kerosene tail light car, adding a stop light is easy, adds to safety, and will get you inspected. Better still, if you have a 26 or 27, stop lights were a dealer option on them. These scenarios apply to regular or classic plates.
If you choose antique plates, as stated above, you don't need to worry about an annual inspection and the plates are good for five years, as you stated. However, unless the Texas law for antique plates has changed, antique plates OR 'year of issue' plates with the little tag that comes with registration, restricts the car by law to limited use, ie: parades, auto club tours, or other short distance limited use. At the digression of a law enforcement officer, a citation could and may be given if he thinks you are in violation of these conditions and fighting it in court may involve a lawyer and that can get expensive. I've always chosen to get my 27 coupe inspected and registered with regular plates to avoid any trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

I wonder if you can get a car inspected with antique plates. Been thinking about getting my 63 Galaxie inspected so I can make it a daily driver.
When I was getting the title for it I got antique plates for it. That about 3 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

I have never been stopped having antique TX plates on my two Model T Fords. However, they are not my daily drivers either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

One of the things that I find very frustrating in Missouri is the street rodders who buy a Model T chassis (and title), build an 847-HP monstrosity which probably needs to be inspected even more than an ordinary modern car and then register it with the original title and put historic vehicle plates on it. Completely illegal, but they never seem to get called on it. (Missouri even has a "Street Rod" license plate for them, but they prefer the historic plates to avoid the inspection.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathy Harris - Garland, Texas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

We have taken our car with actual 1925 plates and the little tag all over the country. We have been stopped by police, multiple times for them to look at the car - have their pictures taken with the car but have never had any question of the plates or had to provide proof of insurance. It is not a daily driver, however when preparing for tours it will be driven once or twice to work - to give it adequate drive time after being serviced. Again, no problems with it. In Texas all antique plates come up for renewal at the same time, I believe the next round is in 2018. If you register antique plates now you will pay a pro-rated rate for the remaining time until then. Happy Trails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

The YOM provision was added to the Missouri statute governing historic vehicle registration about 15 years ago. It reads:

"5. Notwithstanding any provisions of this section to the contrary, any person possessing a license plate issued by the state of Missouri that is over twenty-five years old, in which the year of the issuance of such plate is consistent with the year of the manufacture of the vehicle, the owner of the vehicle may register such plate as an historic vehicle plate as set forth in subsections 1 and 2 of this section, provided that the configuration of letters, numbers or combination of letters and numbers of such plate are not identical to the configuration of letters, numbers or combination of letters and numbers of any plates already issued to an owner by the director. Such license plate shall not be required to possess the characteristic features of reflective material and common color scheme and design as prescribed in section 301.130. The owner of the historic vehicle registered pursuant to this subsection shall keep the certificate of registration in the vehicle at all times. The certificate of registration shall be prima facie evidence that the vehicle has been properly registered with the director and that all fees have been paid."

That means that this is my legal Missouri historic vehicle plate.

ญญ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Every State is diffferent in their title, registration and license plate requirements. Here is the fees for GA for an antique plate. All fess are OVER and ABOVE regular license fees.
Why would anyone do this?

Antique Plates in Georgia

You can order a hobby antique license plate from the GA DOR if your vehicle is:

One of the following:
A private passenger car.
A truck under 14,000 lbs.
OR
A motorcycle.
AND
Made to look like or is older than 25 years old.

The fees for historical license plates in Georgia are:

$80 to order, PLUS regular registration fees.
$55 to renew, PLUS renewal fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:13 am:

I'm in Texas and the guy that inspects cars downtown told me my T only had to have on it when it left the factory. That may be the law or not. I've never been pulled over in 10 years of driving with antique tags on my 47 Hudson. I'd drive it all over, to work or to Walmart. The law says only to and from a car show, but I'm sure cops don't get a list of car shows and they'd have to be awful picky to pull you over for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:19 am:

I got stopped in my '22 roadster for running a stop sign about 6 months ago. (I was too busy looking for other cars and didn't notice it, my dumb.) He asked me for my DL and proof of insurance. When I told him that the insurance card was in the trunk he said not to bother. Then he went back to his car to get me checked out. When he returned he said that I had no recent violations so that he was going to let me go. There was no questions about why or where I was driving the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:26 am:

All states are different. When I was in Massachusetts, they required an annual inspection regardless of the age of the vehicle. (The inspection stations have a great lobby at the statehouse). I'm now a resident of Florida and no inspection required. Massachusetts requires a brake light on any car - no exceptions. Yes, if you have a 1903 gas-light vehicle, you still need to equip it with a brake light. I am not in disagreement with this. Frankly, I would have a brake light on my T even if it wasn't required. It's easy enough to get rear-ended even if you have one. I just bought a LED flashing magnetic light for the back of my T. BTW: Back to Massachusetts - most of the T owners don't bother with the inspection; the police have better things to do then hassle the owners of 90-100 year old cars, and state law requires that the inspectors drive the vehicle into the inspection bay. You will look for a long time before you will find a MA state inspector who knows how to drive a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

I agree with everything that has been posted by fellow Texans.

John K., I have had a half dozen Fords made in the sixties, including two 63 Galaxie R code cars, but always chose to go through annual inspection and register with regular Texas plates. If I had them, now, I would feel they were 'old' enough to be be considered "classics", but at the time I had them, they didn't seem old enough to qualify as a classic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Never been pulled over for running Texas Antique Vehicle plates. Insure your car and be sure ALL the original equipment functions as it should.

I have been running errands yesterday and today in my '35 Ford Cabriolet since we finally have some pretty weather in Houston! This is the first plate I put on it when I got it back on the road in 1975,

I have three with antique plates and consider myself as the "inspector".

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I've run antique plates on all manner of old cars for years.

I run them to car gatherings (sometimes across the state and out of state) and I also occasionally run to the hardware store in them and have never been stopped by police. I have had police follow me into a gas station, etc but they've always just wanted to look at the car and talk about it.

On two occasions I used newer antiques (a Plymouth Valiant and an F100) as daily drivers so I had them inspected and used regular plates.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration