1911 Model T for sale at auction 9/2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1911 Model T for sale at auction 9/2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

I ran across this ad in craigslist for a 1911 Model T to be sold at auction tomorrow. Sounds like it is in pieces and would need full restoration and assembly but sounded interesting. https://fargo.craigslist.org/pts/d/complete-1911-model/6282185734.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

It is at an Amish consignment auction. They have no title. The parts may be all there but they are not all new or ready to put together.
You would need to know your model Ts to put it back together from looking at the picture they sent me it is in boxes and buckets. Partsparts 2parts 3parts 4parts 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Hi Jason thanks for the update! I was also able to track down the owner and gave him a call and it sounds like there is no body for the car and he wasn't sure which parts were correct for it now. He said there is a reserve on it and he has north of $10K invested. Looks like it would need an extensive restoration, more than I am willing to take on right now! Appreciate the pictures on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Those headlights look to be for a 1913-1914, block looks to be early though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Th block is early. 60555#

They have some of the sheet metal body panels (new in the box) but the people I talked to had no clue if everything was there. They were taking the owners word for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

If the owner expects to gain over a reserve that's "north of $10k, I expect he'll just have to add the cost of putting it on the block after it doesn't sell. What's a pile of early nondescript parts worth, reproduction stuff included ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Thanks for your input Rich. I did find out his actual reserve price on the lot is $12.5K and they're going to sell it all to go. Granted the new Brassworks radiator, all new fenders, hood, and running boards, 1911 engine, new tires, the '13-14 headlights etc are worth a few thousand alone but I'm not sure I see $12,500 worth of stuff here, it will be interesting to hear if it sells or not, is anyone going to this auction? Personally since the car doesn't appear to be complete he would probably come out better selling the parts to people that are currently restoring a brass era T. But if the car was complete enough to warrant a restoration it's always good to see another brass era T resurrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:25 am:

Does it have the correct frame, engine pan and rear end? If so there's $4-5k depending on condition. Also do you know about side and tail lights?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

There was an ad in the McIntosh Times for that auction - it mentioned a Model T Ford but no other details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Gary, I talked to the owner and he didn't think he had the original frame for it but he did have a 1910 rear end. I asked him if the side lights were solid brass but he said they were nickle plated which of course isn't correct. Did anyone go to the auction today and see the car? I would be interested in hearing how it turned out or if someone bought it. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I was not at the auction but one of our Model T club members was. He called me with details. An 11 commercial roadster. He left before the end of the auction. Repo fenders and original very rusty running boards, wrong frame and a very rusty body. Wood wheels, he thought they were correct. It was originally a New Hampshire car and a lot of pits and rust in the body. Engine was correct, correct transmission but an incorrect rear end. The reserve was $12,500 for everything.
Do not know if it was sold. I have a hunting cabin in that area and will be up there next week, will see if I can find out more.

t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Olson on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Thanks for the info Rick! I thought you might have gone to that sale as I know a brass T may be of interest to you. The owner did tell me the car had spent some time in an open shed in New Hampshire so not surprising that it was somewhat weathered. I wonder what happened to the original frame and it's too bad the body was that rusty. The '11 engine and transmission looked alright in the photos but would still need some work no doubt. All the new parts add up to quite a bit but then a person has to consider that the '10 and '11 restored tourings at the Driscoll sale went in the $25K range for cars ready to go. From a financial investment standpoint I think a restored car is often the way to go unless a guy can get a good complete restorable brass T for a reasonable price. It will be interesting to hear what you find out, if the car didn't sell the owner will probably drop the price and maybe you'll have a project car for this winter. I see Model T Haven has a pretty decent running mostly restored 1913 touring for $14K which doesn't seem bad either.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration