Defective Starter Solenoid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Defective Starter Solenoid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

When I bought my first T (about 1972) and old timer that I respected said that you should always add a 6 volt solenoid to take the wear and tear off the floor switch. So 3 cars later I did it again. I noticed that the engine didn't spin as sharply as it should, and then starting became intermittent. Crawled under today and it was hot and some of the plastic insulators were melted. Anyhow, just discarded the damn thing. This was brand new from one of the usual vendors (whom I don't fault).Defective Solenoid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Close-upClose-uo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

This solenoid is completely not necessary.

As the saying goes- millions upon millions were made without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

If that were the case, we'd all be using 10w-20 nondetergent oil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I've been running a solenoid to take the load off my original starter switch for a three years now. If everything is hooked up right and grounded correctly you shouldn't have any problems. Regardless of the condition of the solenoid, I would be checking the starter for high amp draw. Those insulators won't melt under normal load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Gave that some thought Kevin, but absolutely certain that all was wired properly and securely. The starter was just re-built professionally. The engine is relatively tight as it doesn't have lots of miles on a complete rebuild ... but starts easily by crank. The fact that the cranking is some much better with the traditional floor switch point to the same culprit. Think I will just order a new replacement floor starter switch and have it around as a back-up if ever needed. An occasional dud solenoid is I suppose a possibility. (I should add when I tapped the solenoid with a small wrench it 'locked' in the start position and I had to quickly disconnect the battery to stop it.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration