Pacific to the Atlantic and back

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pacific to the Atlantic and back
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

I am going to drive a 1931 Model A Ford from the Pacific to the Atlantic and back in a few weeks. Please comment on hwy 10 versus hwy 40. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

There is a Model A club here in New Orleans. Since there is not a Model T club in Louisiana, they said that I could hang out with them. I-10 runs thru here, unless you take the I-12 bypass.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Wow, that's quite an ambitious trip!

Aren't parts of highway 10 in Texas and Louisiana under water from the hurricane?

Even if the waters have receded by the time of your trip, I would be worried about residual damage and/or debris.

Just my 2 cents. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

What is a comfortable cruising speed for your A? I would think that the Interstates would be hazardous if you are anywhere near stock. At 70 mph you are holding people up and I 10 is a really busy road compared to other Interstates I have been on as well as being very rough in places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

You might consider driving U.S. 64, but I don't know if parts of it are high speed or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I-40 parallels Route 66. That would be Car-ma!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

As of yesterday, warning signs here in Dallas have been advising travelers to avoid I-10 and take I-30 as an alternate route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Larry said, "in a few weeks". By then I doubt that any of these areas will be a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The car we are taking is a late 1931 Slant Windshield Sedan with a Cragar Original overhead. Also twin 97's. and a 3:54 rear end. Car cruises easy at 70 but I prefer 55. I am 69 and have conned a friend of fifty years who is also 69 to go along as co-pilot. A real test of friendship with no air or heat. We plan on leaving from Santa Cruz Ca. and head for the Atlantic. No itinerary or time restraints. We plan on showing up at the Hershey Swap meet after dumping water from the Pacific in the Atlantic and retrieving water from the Atlantic To dump in the Pacific. This has been on my bucket list for years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

I realize this is not T related but would it help to know that I have a whole herd of T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Larry -- You asked about Highways 10 and 40. Were you asking about Interstate highways or US highways?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Just looking for a suitable route with the least traffic but also good roads. We're really undecided and open to everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

I think the speed limit in TX on I-10 gets to 80. I-64 is beautiful through VA and WV but you have to deal with mountains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Take a Gander ....

@ https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/road-trip-rte-6-coast-to-coast.10727 89/

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Neither one. If you prefer 55 mph, I think you're less likely to get run over if you take US and state highways. There are a few places where an interstate is the only road from here to there, but they can usually be avoided.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration