Road Trip Fantasy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Road Trip Fantasy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Having followed Tim Moore's postings and reading of Larry Reed's up coming trip I was thinking of how I would go about such an undertaking. First, my time available and my leisurely pace would determine the length of the trip so That I would never feel rushed or under pressure. This would determine my route as well, choosing slow roads as much as possible. The route being chosen, I would get a roster of club members for whatever type of car I was driving, contact them and ask if I could call for assistance should I need to do so when I am in their area. They may also be able to tell me of good places to eat or stay and of any thing really worth seeing nearby, the sort of thing that is off the beaten path and known mainly to locals. AAHHHH-just dreaming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

John, my dream trip is to leave Tulsa Oklahoma and drive all the way to California on old Route 66. My grandparents did that same trip during the depression in a 1925 Fordor with my 2 month old mom in the back seat. Their stories of all the trips they made in the T as well as later trips is what got me interested in Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Donnie I was just talking about a trip on Route 66 with my wife last week. Were were skirting it in Mo. How much of the old road is still useable. I ran it several times from St. Louis to California in the 60's going to Marine Corps Base in 29 Palms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

US 11 always intrigued me. I have often driven from south La. toward Virginia on the interstates with 11 frequently crossing and going through all those little towns along the way. Always wished I would have had time for that slower route.

Would also like to go up to Petit Jean to meet that fellow known to frequent those parts, Donnie Brown. 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

John -- You might as well start making plans to attend the Petit Jean swap meet next year. It's the week leading up to Father's Day each year. In addition to Donnie's presence, Paul Mikeska, J.D. Foster and I (and usually some others) always drive our T's there from Fayetteville and camp out or rent cabins for several days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

And BTW, anyone planning to travel Rt. 66 should get a copy of the EZ-66 Guide for Travelers by Jerry McClanahan. It's the best guide there is to Rt. 66 and costs about 20 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Mike, I'll do it one of these days but I have this ball and chain in the form of a one man retail business. Really hard to get away but someday, someday! That is such a beautiful area in addition to the T folks and the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Sam, There is a lot of the old route still there. It is harder to find and drive it thru the big cities like Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Springfield Mo, ect. But most of the smaller towns are embracing saving the old road as a means to get tourists to visit down town. The larger towns are even trying to save it more now than in the past. When we travel out west, we try and use the mom and pop motels right on Route 66. A lot of the old historic Motels from the 1960s era and older have been restored and are very reasonable. We made a trip to California a couple years ago and the rooms averaged aprox 50.00 a night for two people. All were places I would stay at again. Some of the best restaurants you will ever eat at are right down town in those little towns. Some of them have been in the same family since before WWII. Now if you are a little more adventurous there is still some of the original alignment roads still there. Most of the remaining old dirt sections of Route 66 are in New Mexico and Arizona. There is one section of road in New Mexico that my grandpa showed me years ago. The "new road" as he called it or the old 2 lane road of the 50s till I-40 replaced it. That section of road from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill was a little less than 4 miles long. It is a straight continuous climb up the hill. He showed me the old dirt alignment that they had to use during the depression in the old model T. It crosses the "new road" 12 times before it gets to the top of the hill. It travels back and forth in a series of switchbacks that adds up to more than 50 miles to travel what takes about 4 miles today. If I ever get to do a dream trip on the old road I plan on driving that 50 mile section of dirt road just like Grandpa, Grandma, and my Mom did. There are books that show all the old dirt alignments that are still useable. John, start planning now for next spring Petitt Jean swap meet. Ill be there as usual, if Im still a kicking. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Glad to know I am not the only one with a dream. You have all given me great ideas. I hope it is ok to post on this forum about the trip even though it is being made in a Model A. I actually own a few T's but this trip seems easier in an A. If you think I'm shouldn't post here please tell me of a more appropriate site, although I will be searching for the elusive "survivor T" the entire trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0970995148/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_us ed_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

John, Hwy 11 took three days from New Orleans to Virginia before the Interstate took over, said a relative of mine. The Interstate takes 16-1/2 hours to Charlottesville but in the '80s, when the speed limit was 55, it took me 20-1/4 hours. There are stretches of Hwy 11 left but it's cut up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:09 am:

You have a bunch rerunning the 1909 race in a couple of years. I would rather do the Yellowstone Trail and maybe the Lincoln Highway on the way back. Oldest cross country route followed by second oldest route. Will the T make it? Will I be able to make it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:29 am:

This is a good read:

@ https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/road-trip-rte-6-coast-to-coast.10727 89/

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Hal -- Thanks for that link. That's the book! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Especially in California and Arizona, there are long stretches of old 66 that are now good state and county highways. Oatman Grade is not to be missed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration