'24-ish roadsters windshield frame dismantling

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: '24-ish roadsters windshield frame dismantling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

I would like to change oit my plate glass windshield with safety glass. I haven't found restrictions yet on how to dismantle an open car's windshield stantions....not in the Ford service manual, or Dyke's encyclopedia, not searches.

I'd like to put in new seals on the s tantions that go between them and the windshield frame (At least on the top). I can get the top frame out easy enough.

How does the guts of the stantion come out, so the rubber strip will slide in? The top 1/2 appears to be in the way to get the top bracket acres out of the top of the lower half. Does that make sense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

The guts with the rubber strip does not come out. it is welded in. Un bolt the post from the body and then both frames can be removed, Remove the caps from the ends of the frames by removing the screws and then the glass will come out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Ahhh... sure glad I asked! So, time rubber strip in the top half just pried out? Or does the cup with the through-bolt at the top come out, so the strip can slide up and out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:37 am:

The upper seal just slides out, of course some one may have used weatherstrip cement, so keep that in mind. As long as you need to replace the old plate glass, you might as well take the posts out too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Dennis

Once you pry out the old rubber, clean the channel (what you are noting as a strip) of all old residue and old tacky rubber. You want the channel very clean.

Then cut the new rubber to length by sizing it over the channel.... now the easy part, to pull the rubber into the channel :-) Tip is to swipe some silicone paste or lube, that is the stuff like Vaseline consistency, over the rubber edge that is going into the channel. Makes for a bit easy pull of the rubber down into the channel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration