Model T people in the path of "Harvey"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T people in the path of "Harvey"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I have had some inquiries about any fellow Model T People that were affected by the storm. Please post if you were affected by the storm and if there is anything we can do to help. There are members willing to help if they can. I know that there are many members in the Houston area and beyond that were/are in the path. Let us know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:30 am:

I have not heard of anyone from Space City T's other that Terry Woods that had any problems. That doesn't mean there are not others just that I haven't heard of any. There are many of us all around Houston it seems unlikely that there are not others. I live in Galveston County next door to the town of Dickinson you may have heard a lot about. Got 50 inches of rain here. Rising water got really close to coming in my house and vehicle storage buildings but in the end the Model Ts didn't even get a wet tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Offers for help are always appreciated. If my home was one of the 180,000+ damaged or under water, It would be difficult for me to set a priority to a hobby car. Many have been displaced to Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and points in between. Many have also lost their primary transportation as well as their work place. I'm sure they have more on their mind than posting to the forum. Give them a chance to recover physically as well as mentally. It could be months before we hear from many of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:43 am:

The offers for help include people traveling to the area to help with whatever is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

My wife and I didn't suffer any flooding damage where we live. We had the usual wind and rain, but we are not near a natural waterway and drainage was what you'd expect of a normal heavy rain.

My Grandfather's 27 Coupe and about a semi load of parts were stored in my hometown of Katy, Texas. There, two bayous one in the center of town and one on the western edge of town, both overflowed and waters converged. To make things worse, the bayous run north-south and the Union Pacific railroad tracks run directly east-west creating an earthen dam which holds back any flood water. There are only two short wooden trestles at the bayous for water to be released. The longest one is 75 feet long or less. Water depth ranged from over 10 feet to one foot or less. I have been told by a friend that my storage is in the one foot flood level. I plan to go this afternoon to see for myself. Most parts were on the floor as I don't have shelving, so I'm sure that they will be things other than metal parts that I won't be able to save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

A word of caution: Immediate gut outs are ok but after a week, the mold can get real bad and a respirator will be needed, not just a dust mask. Then rot sets in and the air will be a stench for miles which can give you a bad cough with only one day of exposure. Anything plush (sofa, padded chair, mattress) will be ruined, even if above flood water once rot sets in, as these materials absorb stench in the air.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

We had 4 inches of water in the basin of the garage, otherwise ok. I was lucky. My neighborhood is a mess with about half the houses flooded including new ones built to flood code 3 feet up. I just drove my T around. It cheers people up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

The Space City T's of Houston got offers of help from the Fort Worth CowTown T's and the East Valley Model T Ford Club in Arizona. I posted the offers of help on the Space City T's website www.spacecityts.org for any club members in trouble. So far so good.

Thanks for all the offers of help. It is much appreciated.

I too had to check on my trailer storage lot today, but it was dry with no flooding. I lucked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:24 am:

I got a phone call from the owner of the office/warehouse that I rent, and he asked me if I could remove everything from the office area so he could remove the carpet and drywall up to about 6 inches. I went today and did just that so he could do his work. I had 4 to 5 inches of water in the entire office and warehouse and because I had limited workbench and shelf space, most of my parts were laid out on the floor; some in cardboard boxes, some out. Naturally, everything got wet to some extent, starters and generators included. This is a warehouse big enough to park two Class A motor coaches in, to give you an idea of size. The good thing is that since the water depth was 4 to 5 inches, My Grandfather's 27 coupe suffered no flood damage, but I'll have my work cut out for me for the next month drying as much as I can out and taking some things to scrap or selling on classifieds or Ebay. Have too much junk as my wife calls it and needed to downsize, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:52 am:

Forgot to add, the most precious car item casualty was my complete collection of Vintage Fords, from Vol 1 No 1 to the end of Bruce McCalley's articles on T production. Yeah, its available on DVR or the Encyclopedia, but it isn't the same as having every book sent to you and kept them in mint condition, until this, but as Jerry Davis and possibly others in Harvey's path, lost so much more, I am blessed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:39 am:

Further inspection of my "barn" (was a barn before it was re-skinned and concrete floor) I determined I got about and inch of water inside. Obviously no damage to the WW2 Jeep of the TT Wrecker. But kinda funny how I determined there was water inside. I went out there yesterday morning looking for something for a friend and I noticed the drip pans were not under the engines. That was odd. I could not imagine how they could move. Then I realized they could float. That is apparently what they did. Just enough water to float them.
Terry does have his work cut out for him. I pulled a Fordson tractor out of the back corner of his storage. He has his work cut out for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Bob, At least we could get to the Fordson, then. With the added accumulation, it would be impossible, now. I'd just have to put of the sale of the tractor until I sold what was in front of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

I am in Kountze Texas working the Beaumont area for Farm Bureau, I'll be here for at least three weeks, depending on what Irma does. It is bad down here, worse than the news shows. I just hope that Irma stays away from the house while I'm 1100 miles away. If anybody's close hit me up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration